Dendroboard banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok i feel like a total retart noobie for asking this....but iv wondered about it for years.....in a tank that just has gravel as the substrate, do you plant the plant directly into the gravel or leave it in the pot?..hehehe yeh i know im stupid ..but humore me:)

G

·
I've done both, I prefer the look of not in the pot, but its easy to hide the pot. I think the best Idea I have heard. I may try this if I can find a nice source of "cheap plastic" pots, is to double pot the plants so you can remove the plants easily for cleaning or replacement. just bury/hide/build one pot into the landscape and set the one with the actual plant into it.

-Tad

·
Registered
5,684 Posts
Depends on the plant. Usually I have a layer of gravel then a nice couple inch layer of dirt to go with it in a planted tank (dirt well above water line). In this set up it doesn't matter if you keep them in a pot or not, but why would you really want them to stay potted? I'd rather have them root and spread unless there is some reason you will want to remove them easily.

Most of the time now I just go with a layer of gravel, a layer of sphagnum moss, then cuttings of vining plants that root in water (philos, syngonyms, ivy, pothos, peace lilies, the semi-aquatic wet roots kind of plants). Not all plants handle this well. Even if you still have them in pots, if the bottom of the pot is below the water line the plant will rot unless its like the above mentioned type.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts