Dendroboard banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all.

My frogs arrived friday and are comfortably living in thier "sweater boxes."

They are eating readily and seam quite healthy after thier trip.

My 2 year old dog, however, is having a fit. He is constantly on the prowl around the table the frogs are on whining and growling. Quite a sight...

Has anyone else had this type of response from thier canine? He has never paid any attention to my uromastyx, but the reptile was here first...

I assume the dog will get used to the dendro's, but I am curious as to whether or not others have witnessed this reaction....

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
My chihuahua's would growl and bark at first when my Varadero's started calling, now they don't even perk an ear.

That is a funny story though.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hopefully my little guy will get use to them...

I find his behavior quite amusing, the fiance does not....

·
Registered
169 Posts
My dogs just look at them the same as they do the fish and animals on tv. Curiously watching but usually quiet and calm, ocsssionally a bark at any sudden movements. My female pit mix barks when she sees a bug or thinks I've spotted one and goes on the hunt until she knows its gone. That's pretty funny tho, what breed?

Come to think of it my old mans dog acted that way towards my coat when I flew out to visit him. We figured that it smelled like my dog at home and we kept it in the car until I flew back. His dog does not like other dogs especially when he can smell but not see them.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have a shipoo...

Well my fiance does technically. Talk about mixing... It's a shih tzu-poodle. He is not a fan of having other dogs on his turf either, though he does ok if he is with others dogs outside of our home.

The frogs will be bigger than him soon, so maybe they can teach him a lesson...

Ugh.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Something new for the lil feller, huh? Well, he's just doing his duty, and that's protecting you (assuming he's a 'he'). After awhile, he'll get accustomed to the new smells and will go about his business. What kind of pooch do you have?

We have lots of frogs along with 5 dogs and 2 cats. We're a very critter-friendly family ~

k

·
Premium Member
2,747 Posts
Hi Ckays,

I introduce all my new animals to my dogs (Siberian Huskys), so they feel they are part of the process of obtaining new animals. I also use it as an opportunity to warn them that "this is MY animal and you are NOT to touch it!" You don't want a frog getting out, only to be chewed-up by Fido.

Good luck in the hobby, Richard.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
HI woodsman,

I did this last night actually as much as I felt comfortable with. I don't really want them to meet face to face as I feel it would needlessly stress the frogs. I like to be as hands off with them as possible.

i did let the Dog sniff around there homes at eye level, we'll see how soon his interest in them subsides. He is not be aggressive with them, but he is very interested. Like he wants to play with them...

Definitely not an issue I was expecting...

Thanks for your thoughts everyone.

·
Registered
2,954 Posts
I have a 10g in my living room with 1 extra female citronella in it. My puppy used to jump on the fireplace ledge and stare into the tank, and when she saw the frog jumping she would paw at the tank. Pretty cute, but I had to put a stop to her to she wouldn't knock the tank off the stand. She doesn't pay any attention to the frog or the tank now.

·
Registered
508 Posts
One of the most important things we teach our boys (dogs) is to 'leave it'. I'm sure that many folks teach their dogs the same thing mainly to prevent them from hurting themselves or maybe a helpless critter. It's never too late, and it's very easy for any dog to learn. After awhile, they'll ignore whatever it is that we've told 'em to 'leave it'.

good boys ;)

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well glad to hear I'm not the only that has seen this issue with our four legged, furry friends.

The pooch was calmer with them today, but still very interested. ..

I'm sure he'll lose interest over time.

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
One of the most important things we teach our boys (dogs) is to 'leave it'. I'm sure that many folks teach their dogs the same thing mainly to prevent them from hurting themselves or maybe a helpless critter. It's never too late, and it's very easy for any dog to learn. After awhile, they'll ignore whatever it is that we've told 'em to 'leave it'.

good boys ;)
Thats my exact command. Anything my dogs have, I can say "Leave It" and they will drop it. Its a very handy command and one that IMO, any dog owner, should incorporate.

·
Registered
19,318 Posts
I use one of several options with the dog.. one is give, which means that have to turn it over, drop which means spit it out and move on, move, which means exactly that, go on which outside is the same as move, inside the dog has to leave the room....

Ed

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Haha.

I had two and now have three commands:

"Sit" which is self explanatory, but works well in many situations and

"Beat it" which he has picked up over that last 36 hours and gets him to leave the room.

"Grrrr" which gets him away from anything he is trying to get into. (i.e. the woods, my sons dinner plate, etc...)

The Grrr is by far the most effective and my favorite... My fiance can't quite get the tone/attitude down though which drives her nuts as the dog doesn't respond to hers...

I love it.

·
Registered
508 Posts
That cracks me up - I taught my cats what Grrrr means. We had a couple of friends for dinner a while back and one of my cats reached a paw up toward the table. I looked down at him and grrrrr'd, and the cat took off like his tail was on fire. Our friends asked me what I did - I told them that I told the cat to stop it and leave, in so many cat words.

Yep - it works especially well on cats -

·
Registered
19,318 Posts
I simply growl at the cat like they would, a growl that starts low and then wavers in pitch. The old maine coone, doesn't even open her eyes when I do it, but the younger cat (who is the one causing trouble) hustles out of the room flat to the ground.

I do have to say that the second cat is very well mannered, neither get on the table or kitchen counters, and the young one asks to be invited up into a chair or lap with you (well virtually never with me, she bonded with the wife and is effectively tethered to her when JoAnne is home).

Back to the topic at hand, I have shiba inus (well we are down to one now), and when I had a large 75 gallon salt tank, they would notice the new fish and watch them for several days. If we ever bring anything in new as long as it is in a box (be it book, clothes, crickets or what not), the box is set down for insepction. It gets well sniffed and once investigated the interest is lost.

Ed

·
Registered
508 Posts
Ed, the visual of you doing 'that' in front of company defies description. I wonder how many visitors exited your house in much of the same manner as your small, well-trained-by-her-mama cat did ......

So, we know that you know how to talk cat - can you do 'frog'? And I'm not talking about 'where the hell are you, you rotten lil thang' type frogtalk. This is the kind of stuff that could prove invaluable to those of us who have ended up with frog jerky on occasion ~

heheh....yeah, this could be good ~

k

·
Registered
19,318 Posts
Ed, the visual of you doing 'that' in front of company defies description. I wonder how many visitors exited your house in much of the same manner as your small, well-trained-by-her-mama cat did ......

So, we know that you know how to talk cat - can you do 'frog'? And I'm not talking about 'where the hell are you, you rotten lil thang' type frogtalk. This is the kind of stuff that could prove invaluable to those of us who have ended up with frog jerky on occasion ~

heheh....yeah, this could be good ~

k

People who are visiting us don't even bat an eye..they know me better... My younger brother in high school taught his cat to come running and stick his head into my brother's mouth on command. My mother dreaded it since when Ken was bored when we had company over, he would give the cat the command and lean back with his mouth open...

If you've ever read Kliban's Cats books there are some decent renditions of calls (but there are for lack of a better word dialects). I've called kittens out from hiding by playing around with the tone of some calls (shocking a friend of mine who had rescued a semiferal kitten on the way home one day, when I wanted to check the age of the kitten and it was hiding under the bed as far as possible from us).

I can do some frog calls well enough to get a response. I can't do dendrobatids as I can't buzz my lips in the right tone for some of them. Yes, I've tried... I can get call backs from grey treefrogs outside when I try and I used to be able to get the whites' treefrogs to call (but running a dishwasher works better...).

Ed

1 - 19 of 19 Posts