Dendroboard banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just finished my first viv yesterday, and today I come to find most of the coco and peat falling off the silicone. I used 1 bottle cap of Xylol - Xylene its the same, into half a bottle of silicone. It made it gui and non sticky at first and i thought it would spread allot better. Spreading was OK but if I rub my finger on the foam all the coating falls off, leaving the black silicone beneath. Can anyone give me any ideas what to do next? I am scared to rub anywhere else on the viv because i`m afraid it will all fall off. I have left it to air out, hoping the silicone is not cured enough or something.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Was the peat completely dry before you applied it?
I've never used the xylene/silicone mix, but I can't remember hearing anything about it ruining silicone.

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
Never used this stuff, but only Dow Corning silicone and coco humus (dry, as Sammie said) without having any problem.
Maybe you have wrong the percentage in the mix of silicone and xylene, or something of this stuff was not of good quality.

·
Registered
622 Posts
I tried a xylene/silicone mix in my most recent build. It didn't seem to prolong the skin formation phase (you know what I mean) by much, but it took well over a week for the xylene smell to dissipate/evaporate off. As long as I could smell the xylene, it was easy to rub off.

I eventually pointed a 150W incandescent bulb at the xylene wall which seemed to help it off gas.

Thinning the silicone made it easier to spread, but not worth the long cure time and terrible/poisonous smell. I would rather just work in small patches of pure silicone than mess with xylene again.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Broseph, did the coating stop coming off after the smell was 100% disappeared? I have done Vines before with the same method, but the first vines had the same problem, then i used sand paper to roughen the rope and everything was better.
Any way, I will give it some time to cure and if the problem is still there by friday next week, I will resilicone the bald patches.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I tried a xylene/silicone mix in my most recent build. It didn't seem to prolong the skin formation phase (you know what I mean) by much, but it took well over a week for the xylene smell to dissipate/evaporate off. As long as I could smell the xylene, it was easy to rub off.

I eventually pointed a 150W incandescent bulb at the xylene wall which seemed to help it off gas.

Thinning the silicone made it easier to spread, but not worth the long cure time and terrible/poisonous smell. I would rather just work in small patches of pure silicone than mess with xylene again.
Thanks Broseph I will just use pure silicone fro my next build:)

·
Registered
622 Posts
I like added xylene for vine making as well- seems like it helps soak the silicone into the rope. My experience was that once the smell was gone, the mixture was cured and stuck.

It has also been my experience, however, that silicone doesn't stick hard to anything but glass. I've always been able to peel it off foam, wood, plastic, and rope with moderate effort. Despite this, we all use it, and it seems to work well enough.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok, I`m leaving the vivarium background cure for 3-4 days or until smell of Xylol is gone. Hope the coco stops coming off :) If not, gonna reapply silicone to the bald spots i guess :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.