Dendroboard banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Plant Wood Aquatic plant Terrestrial plant Leaf vegetable

Plant Organism Terrestrial plant Aquatic plant Grass

I set up this viv a few days ago and recently added more plants and wood and was wondering if this looks over crowded? If so I was thinking of getting rid of the golden pothos or trimming it to make more floor space and keeping the satin pothos as it is and possibly getting rid of the cryptanthus

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hones I would add a background to at least the back wall and move some of the plants up there. The frogs are going to feel exposed with all glass sides and will hide a lot more. A background will also add more climbing opportunities so the frogs can utilise all the space provides in the tank, not just the ground level.

This could be anything like a fake polystyrene background, flat cork sheets, a cork/moss mosaic, or a diy foam/silicon background. Check out some of the builds on here for inspiration :)

what species are you looking to add?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
@amfrogs I'm going to be adding some leucomelas. Iv thought abt a background but most I found were way too thick and took up a lot of the space. I might try to fit some flat cork in there but most I found at my local stores were very rounded and would take a lot of space. I have one more piece of wood and a cork tube I'll try to fit in there.

·
Premium Member
3,270 Posts
Dart frogs don't need the water dish, but it's up to you. That looks pretty good to me for now. The plants will grow (some too large for that tank, I am guessing).

Pay attention to the ventilation. I can't tell if you have something over the metal mesh or not. I don't know about your climate, but in mine, a completely open top would dry the tank out and kill my frogs in a matter of hours. There is an easy fix if necessary - just put some plastic wrap over part of the screen. You will probably have to experiment with how much to leave uncovered. You can tape it down or just spray it with water from underneath every time you mist and it will kinda stick to the mesh.

I also can't tell what you are using for substrate or if you have a drainage layer (you should).

Mark

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
@Encyclia I have plastic over the mesh taped down but it isn't doing the best job, im thinking of using some gorilla 100% silicone and sealing it to the mesh, would that be ok? I do have a drainage layer and a an abg esque mix from a local reputable hobbyist, it seems to drain quite well. I plan on keeping the plants that will get bigger trimmed down so they don't get way too tall.

·
Registered
20 Posts
@hansgruber7 I don't really know if I could do backgrounds, most seems super complicated with expanding foam and stuff and the ones at stores are super thick and very expensive. I'll try to fit more wood in there and add flat cork bark if I can
You could try tacking on cork bark with hot glue and then use some silicone to hold it in place since the hot glue can falter from the humidity from what I've read.

·
Registered
19 Posts
@hansgruber7 I don't really know if I could do backgrounds, most seems super complicated with expanding foam and stuff and the ones at stores are super thick and very expensive. I'll try to fit more wood in there and add flat cork bark if I can
If anything you can get some posterboard and tape it to the outside. I got some of that vinyl material for my sides that sticks to plastic, its blackboard on the outside so I can write on it (Like dates, etc)

·
Registered
10 Posts
I actually used this on one of my vivs backgrounds. It surprisingly looks pretty decent for a store bought background and as the plants grow up the “slate” it looks pretty natural. On my other vivs I go with a cork mosaic background with voids filled with sphagnum. I like those better of course but the fake slate from petsmart only tanks up about an inch of tank space while the cork takes up quite a bit more.
Rectangle Font Slope Electric blue Asphalt

1 - 20 of 21 Posts