Dendroboard banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been culturing melo FF's for many years, pretty much all types, with total ease and success. I recently got a hydei culture and when I got home started a couple of others. I've read the threads and added a few things to the mix I use to accomodate the hydei but I've still not seen any activity. I started 3 or for melo cultures the very same day and they are already busting with maggots and pupae and I'm wondering does it just take longer for hydei to reproduce or to see maggot activity etc... Sorry if this is in another thread but I did a search and TONS of threads about hydei came up. Thanks in advance!!

JP

·
Registered
129 Posts
They have a longer development cycle. For me, it takes about 1 week to get a bloom of melo's, but almost two weeks for the hydei's.

·
Registered
995 Posts
apparently they take about twice as long as melanos...

Which i find weird, because my hydei boom in about 6-8 days...and my melanos 5-7 days... and i dont add very many hydei at all...

·
Premium Member
2,747 Posts
Hi Jeremy,

Your Hydei take 6-8 days? My Goldens take about three weeks and Blacks take almost a month to "boom". It almost sounds like we're talking about two different species!

Take care, Richard.

apparently they take about twice as long as melanos...

Which i find weird, because my hydei boom in about 6-8 days...and my melanos 5-7 days... and i dont add very many hydei at all...

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm not sure which species I have or morph if you will, I have. Thats good to know. They have only been in there a week and like I said nothing. The melos though are going through the roof... think I got this batch of media just right lol.

Thanks for the input!

JP

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
Hi Jeremy,

Your Hydei take 6-8 days? My Goldens take about three weeks and Blacks take almost a month to "boom". It almost sounds like we're talking about two different species!

Take care, Richard.
I was thinking the same thing... my wingless melanos typically take (give or take a couple of days) 2 weeks, and I'd say between 3-4 weeks for black hydei (@ room temps of 68-70).

·
Registered
995 Posts
I was thinking the same thing... my wingless melanos typically take (give or take a couple of days) 2 weeks, and I'd say between 3-4 weeks for black hydei (@ room temps of 68-70).
2 weeks for melanos?! what media are you guys using?!?!

·
Registered
19,318 Posts
There are a couple of potential confusing "boom" references going on here.. people should clairify if they are discussing maggots, pupae or adults...

To the OP.. you are aware that if you start hydei cultures with the flies that emerge first (for 5-10 days) then you probably have only one sex which is why you aren't seeing any maggots in the media. You also should see a delay because hydei take a few days to become sexually mature.

Ed

·
Registered
995 Posts
There are a couple of potential confusing "boom" references going on here.. people should clairify if they are discussing maggots, pupae or adults...

To the OP.. you are aware that if you start hydei cultures with the flies that emerge first (for 5-10 days) then you probably have only one sex which is why you aren't seeing any maggots in the media. You also should see a delay because hydei take a few days to become sexually mature.

Ed
I'm referring to Emerged flies, or an increase in the actual flies than i put in...

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
2 weeks for melanos?! what media are you guys using?!?!
Two weeks (give or take a few days) = usually somewhere between 10-14 days.. but even two weeks is pretty standard. It does partly depend on temperature and the medium used.

D. melanogaster matures to a smaller size of around 1/16 inch (1.5 mm). D. melanogaster takes roughly two weeks (depending on temperature that cultures are kept at and medium used) to go from egg to maggot to adult fly, and the newly morphed flies can reproduce after 24 hours. D. hydei develops slower and takes roughly one month to go through its life cycle.
Amphibian Care >> Culturing Flightless Fruit Flies for Reptiles and Amphibians

EDIT - (for both boabab & OP) - If you take a look at this thread, you can get a good idea of how long it's taking most people with several different types of media. If I had to put an average on what I've read from that thread, it's also right around 2 weeks for melanos and 3-4 for hydei.

I'm using Josh's media and temps are usually right around 68. What are you using/what temps/what strain of flies? I don't think I've heard of many cultures booming that soon.

·
Registered
995 Posts
Two weeks (give or take a few days) = usually somewhere between 10-14 days.. but even two weeks is pretty standard. It does partly depend on temperature and the medium used.
i must say, i've never heard of it taking 2 weeks to boom for melanos, up here everyone i talked to has said they get booms in a week [usually 2 weeks for hydei]

Amphibian Care >> Culturing Flightless Fruit Flies for Reptiles and Amphibians

I'm using Josh's media and temps are usually right around 68. What are you using/what temps/what strain of flies? I don't think I've heard of many cultures booming that soon.
media, my own secret mix :D

temps, 72-78

strain, wingless melanos and hydei [the normal black hydei]

·
Registered
3,798 Posts
you know, this is something ive been thinking about recently. my melos, which produce heavily (and ive used a variety of culturing mediums through my time with darts) "boom" with a noticeable increase in flies in about 2 weeks (both wingless melo, and turkish glider) give or take a few days.

yet its commonplace to explain the difference in emergence times as 1 week : 2 weeks. heck, ive even found myself saying it before, but when i keep close records (i write dates in culture lids) it becomes clear that 10-14 days, as stated by another member, is normal.

ive since started to culture 2 separate cycles of flies. weeks 1 and 3, and weeks 2 and 4. this means that i have PLENTY of flies every week.

anyway, ive begun to think that this "1 week" saying isnt, in reality, commonplace. its just a vaguely realistic version of the truth that people use to describe the lifecycle differences of the two.

james

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
i must say, i've never heard of it taking 2 weeks to boom for melanos, up here everyone i talked to has said they get booms in a week [usually 2 weeks for hydei
2 weeks for Melanos and 3 weeks for Hydei. Now you've heard it from someone up here. :p

I have played around with increasing the room temps. At 82F I was able to get Melanos to produce in 9 days and Hydei in 15 days. Since I may cultures weekly room temps are fine.

·
Registered
19,318 Posts
yet its commonplace to explain the difference in emergence times as 1 week : 2 weeks. heck, ive even found myself saying it before, but when i keep close records (i write dates in culture lids) it becomes clear that 10-14 days, as stated by another member, is normal. .

In addition to the enviromental factors mentioned above there is also a strong genetic component in which by using the first emergers you can shorten the time to emergence but this comes with some costs such as sensitivity to conditions once emergence occurs resulting in a crash as soon as the culture booms, poorer usage and uptake of nutrients which can affect the quality of the flies from a nutritional point of view. \

Ed

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well, its been 15 days since I made the hydei culture and today I finally have maggots... Looks like for the most part its taken one extra week for them to show up over my melo cultures... Thanks for all the great info!

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I started the hydei culture on 7/17 and today, 8/1, was the first day I saw hatching flies... I didnt realize hom many were in there. I always look at the melo cultures and can see the maggots on the sides of the cup and in the media on the sides as well... I didnt really notice that with the hydei... seems they were hiding in the middle because they are covering the sides of the cup now.

Am I weird that I like to play with bugs?? :D

·
Registered
71 Posts
The Hydei do in fact, take longer.

However, I do have a secret to speed up the process that I'm willing to share.

Hydei normally takes and extra week or two then that of the melanos. However, if you take a freshly made hydei culture and put in it a warmer climate for the first 3-5 days than you normally would.

Doing so, will speed up the metabolism of the flies and in turn speed up the process of the flies reproducing.

This normally cuts down the time to match that of the melanos give or take a couple days.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts