Dendroboard banner
41 - 56 of 56 Posts

·
Banned
2,454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
Mister Minks. Grammostola pulchra.

Raised from sling and gifted to a young hobbyiest who was the smartest T keeper I have ever had the privilege to cross paths with.

·
Banned
2,454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
Oh thats good Lk! And they are like sparks arent they?!

·
Registered
35 Posts
We have one D. auratus right now, still a froglet, called Chiquitita, or Chiqui for short. It's a term of endearment, meaning "little one" in Spanish.

Our second D. auratus coming home next week, my son named Rana -- Spanish for frog. 🤷‍♀️

·
Registered
87 Posts
Ive got Rainman & Reggae, Starlet (since shes started to come out more) Elid, Kashmir, Galaxy and Ms Mandelbrot.
Currently I have 3 American Bullfrog tadpoles and the pair of Bakhuis I just bought are supposed to be here tomorrow. The bullfrogs my son decided to name Gary, Jeff, and Garfield. I think those are really cute names for our fat tadpoles (just getting fatter everyday and their little legs are starting to develop). Haven't named the Bakhuis yet but I am sure when they arrive tomorrow my son will be full of ideas (little does he know I already have a name in mind for the female, I might like to call her 'Priya' so we will have to see if that name suits her when she arrives).

·
Registered
32 Posts
When I got my first two BYHs (froglets at that time) I named them Ernie and Bert, later on when it became obvious that Ernie actually was a girl, I renamed her Erna. So I have Erna and Bert.
My group of R. variabilis (1:3) are called Casanova and his girls, and my newest pair (D. t. azureus) are called Tristan and Isolde. So, yes I name them because it's so much easier that way to greet them in the morning. :p

I also named all my tarantulas, only my mourning geckos are simply referred to as "The Squeakies". ;)

·
Banned
2,454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
😄(y)

·
Premium Member
781 Posts
I keep spreadsheets of all my herps, and I give them a call name for handy reference. Using a number is more methodical, and I use that for my williamsi geckos, but it's easier to converse casually about them with a call name than 971XBC56 or the like. I suppose I should probably use a number system for my frogs as well, but haven't yet implemented one. For me, the geckos are easier to number because their hatch dates are clear and I can incorporate that into their identifier, where OOW dates are not as precise. I could come up with something, but for now, I'm fine with call names.

·
Banned
2,454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
I have to admit being interested in your call names. As I really like the way you write.

·
Premium Member
781 Posts
Well, thank you. I promise you, though, that they are not very interesting. I did name one of my mints Grendel, and chose a cow/large animal naming theme for them given their relative size among their fellow dendrobatids. The rest have less...dignified names, shall we say, Blobhead being one example. I tried to give a theme to each tank.

·
Banned
2,454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
Thanks for responding. Yeah they kind of give handles to themselves.

I have to admit to being charmed and putting thought into it because it makes me happy.

·
Premium Member
781 Posts
I have to admit to being charmed and putting thought into it because it makes me happy.
I also enjoy respecting them as individuals in this way. I like to give them their names informed by their observable character, but in some cases, I labored over it for so long that I settled for simplistic descriptors. For instance, with one group, I forgot the names I'd given repeatedly for three years, which is actually what prompted me to start keeping records. Referring to one as Blobhead really goes against my aesthetic, but I'm trying to teach myself not to take everything so seriously all the time.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Azureus (all genders made up because they're too young to tell still):
Morty (short for Dumortierite)

Sky (because she has a lighter blue body)

Shy Boy (actually may need to put him into a separate grow-out tank, he's smaller than all the others, and I've noticed multiple others sitting/standing on him 😕)

Bold Wattley (he's lean, but not as skinny as he looks at this angle FYI)

Big Wattley

The two Wattley line frogs are ginormous compared to the others, it's kind of fascinating to me! Also much less symmetrical in terms of their spots.

Banded leuc: Bandit, partly because I got lazy with the name and partly because he hides like a ninja. Getting a tankmate tomorrow which hopefully makes him a little bolder...

·
Registered
64 Posts

The one on the left my oldest daughter named Barry B. Benson and the one on the right is unnamed at the moment as my youngest daughter wants to know if it is a male of female first. Also have another named Mr. Bumbles named by my youngest son, and a 4th unnamed that is my oldest son's.

·
Banned
2,454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
Thats an splendid photo of happy looking leucs.

Barry B. Benson and Mr Bumbles are Top Shelf names with brightness and bounce just like them.

41 - 56 of 56 Posts