Dendroboard banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Banned
2,454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive got Rainman & Reggae, Starlet (since shes started to come out more) Elid, Kashmir, Galaxy and Ms Mandelbrot.

·
Banned
2,454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What has he named them?

·
Registered
682 Posts
My wife named my Cobalts. The huge female is named Titus and the pudgy little male is Kimmy.

My imitator Yumbatos is referred to as Mr. Yumbatos, which is preceded by saying “domo arigato“.

Azureus initially as froglets were: Ice frog(mostly blue/finer spots), Grizz, and Panpan(larger panda spots). Grizz is no longer with them.

·
Super Moderator
4,169 Posts
Mr. Yumbatos, which is preceded by saying “domo arigato“.
Not only is this brilliant, but I now have the entire album playing in my head. Well, it is playing from a cassette tape on a Walkman, of course.

·
Banned
2,454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah as time goes on the more i like things to be i dunno, warm. I even named my stanely's phillips. It just happens.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Yes, but not for sentimental reasons -- tracking individuals on spreadsheets and just being able to refer to them when talking about them to my girlfriend, for instance. It does appeal to my sense of humour but stops there, I don't think of frogs as conventional 'pets' like a dog or a cat.

I don't name hold-backs or new groups being grown and sorted by sex as their status is tentative, nor do I name offspring for sale, although they do all get tracked as 'inventory'.

It's also a lot easier to do with the species I keep, given their high visibility makes them very recognizable. If I had tanks full of undetectable ninja frogs like some keepers do, I might have a harder time of it.

Blackfoots

Beast
Pepper
Ska
Oddly
Terrible T

Mints

Bleach
Milkshake
Pitty
Goblin

Yellows

Lemon
Peaches
Fireball
Warhol
Hobgoblin

Leucs

2-Dot
3-Dot
Mysterio
Queen Dot
Rorshach

·
Registered
Dendrobates Leucomelas
161 Posts
I just got my leucs Thursday. Harry and Sally from the movie When Harry Met Sally.
So, until they can be distinguished male or female.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
0.0.4 Dendrobates Auratus Birkhahn
69 Posts
Yes, I have Sumo and Green Sumo.... Because it looks like they have this sumo wrestlers pants on

·
Registered
Ranitomeya Variabilis Southern 1.0.2
12 Posts
My other half named ours - Bowser, Yoshi and Goomba (aka Titch) 🙄

·
Registered
37 Posts
I name some of my frogs and other herps, but I don’t necessarily make it a point to do so.
Years ago, I felt that it was childish and amateurish to give names to herps. Nobody in my “circle“ did it. But it has since become more popular and accepted, even amongst “serious” herpers. It’s also much easier to just say “George“ than corn snake 12bh, or worse yet, “that one dark male that I got from that long haired guy at that one show”.

·
Registered
682 Posts
I’m not above being childish. I agree it’s infinitely easier to refer to a name than the one varadero with more solid color. Not all of my frogs have names.

I’m also weary of the issues of anthropomorphism. Anyone have any related to naming herps?

·
Banned
2,454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I think the cue comes with what presents more fowardly. The species and husbandry interest or the anthropomorphic projection in interest.

Handling urges in new ppl are more problemetic to deal with.

On the other end, a dour or cool affect is sometimes appropriated as a way of appearing scientific yet the actual scientists I have known were among the most emotionally intelligent people Ive encountered as well as the most hilarious.

·
Registered
567 Posts
On the other end, a dour or cool affect is sometimes appropriated as a way of appearing scientific yet the actual scientists I have known were among the most emotionally intelligent people Ive encountered as well as the most hilarious.
I figure I forfeited my right to be dour or cool when I started raising colourful frogs in glass boxes and growing wee plants.

·
Banned
2,454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Its Fun. Fun is multidimensional!

Reactions: Fahad
1 - 20 of 56 Posts