Dendroboard banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been having trouble with my powerhead that was powering my water feature in my tank. You know, the general clatter associated with a 5-10 year old worn out powerhead. The noise where you have to turn the tv up. Anyway, the old one was a good one, but its old and worn out. The whole impeller assembly is ratty and loose.

The old one was a Aquarium Systems Maxi-Jet 750 that threw 217 gallons per hour with 49 inches max rise (according to the side of it). I bought a new Marineland Penguin Power head 170 gallons per hour, but it is so insufficient its pathetic. They should be able to push water up an 18 inch rise and 3 and a half foot run with a inside hose diameter of probably 1/2".

I'm probably gonna look for another maxi-jet 750 at some point soon, but does anyone else have a large pump they are using and like or would recommend? Having to dig this dang thing out from under the false bottom is annoying enough to only want to do it once more!

I'd appreciate any good recommendations or similar experiences. I'm about to pull my hair out with it. :x

·
Registered
327 Posts
Maxi-Jets are the best, so I would stick with them. They don't make a 750 though; 600, 900, 1200 and they also have a line of mini-jets and micro-jets to choose from if size is important.

Paul

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
power heads

Guys,

for what it's worth. I have kept saltwater fish tanks for years, and am just now getting into building my first Viv. But I can answer powerhead questions like these.

First, if you like your Maxi 750 and it's clattering, that just means the impellor is getting bad. You can by just the replacement impellor from any good fish pet/hobby store. Also, the clattering really comes from the impellor slipping on the steel rod that it is on. In saltwater we use powerheads on wavemakers, and they have a tendency to make poweheads clatter and chatter on startup..so we take the impellors out and superglue the impellor tight to the rod. Problem fixed.

Now, as far as RIO brand pumps. I would stay away from them...First the ARE NOT UL listed. and again the saltwater aquarium world, more than one RIO pump has fried an entire tank setup, corals, fish and all. Not good. People in the fish keeping world are steering away from them like crazy.

So, I also suggest sticking with Maxijets...they are the best out there.

HTH
Dan

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
6982.1.0 D. Pumilio
Thats a CRAPload of Pumilio :!: :!: :D

Thanks for the comments, and I might try to glue that pump up, I'm jsut really insecure about using a glue in the water for my frogs. I'd almost rather just wait and get a new impeller. I think the inside of the pump is wallered out too from small rocks and sand from past tanks. I'll probably end up just having a dry riverbed until I can replace the whole thing. Its probably 5 years old!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Matt,

yeah, if you got 5 years out of the maxijet, you got your money's worth. I'd just replace the entire thing with another maxi and you'll be set. I have 4 maxijets on my reef tank on a wavemaker. two of them are 900's and two are 1200s They are all going on 8 years old now.

Dan

1 - 8 of 8 Posts