Dendroboard banner

Do you seed your cultures from several diff. cups?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was prone to making three or four cultures from one cup without adding flies from another cup, so over time the flies were inbreeding, , and I noticed a decrease in production, and the flies seemed to hatch out smaller. This took about 6 months too happen, and reversed it self when I seeded a culture using several diff. cups. I was curious if anybody else has done this? If you are having problems with production, when you were producing tons of flies a few months ago, then this may be your problem.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am mixing flies from the same strain and supplier. Such as turkish gliders from Flyculture, or wingless melangoster from Flyculture. I am not mixing strains, just adding flies to a culture from several diff. cups to add extra genetic material. The genetics aren't diff. enough to cause fliers.

·
Registered
4,324 Posts
Fliers in your cultures are usually the result of wild type FFs entering the culture. Most but not all genetic mutants of Drosophila are the result of gene deletion (partial or whole), gene inversion or translocation. Crossing cultures within the same genetic mutation background is very unlikely to reverse the defect. On the other hand, crossing between genetic defect backgrounds can reverse the flightless phenotype in certain situations.

Bill

1 - 4 of 4 Posts