Dendroboard banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well, as some of you know, I found a clutch of eggs on a leaf in my tank. It was only six of them, but one hatched on the 27th, and another was floating around in the water the leaf is in, dead. I touched the others with the turkey Baster, and both are alive. I was wondering if you think they may need a little interventioto come out? I don't know if this is conventional, but I know the fathers sometimes stamp on them to get them to come out. And the other has been out for almost a week now. They look plenty big enough to have already hatched to me. I don't have a current photo, but the old one can be seen here: http://www.dendroboard.com/forum/me...723-my-p-vittatus-viv-journal.html#post635488

Thanks so much for your help.
Mark

P.S.: Can you pre-make tad tea? I was thinking something like a gallon jug of it with some almond leaves and a bit of powder spirulina to make some algae. Then just pour when a new tad arrives. If so, how long will this kind of setup keep good?

·
Registered
41 Posts
I dont know much about it seeing i am still kind of new at this but anyways i have read a lot of posts and i have read that some froggers help by breaking the egg membrane to help the tadpole come out. others say that the longer it stays the better the tadpole developes but i guess it would be up to you what you do. in my opinion if it seem that they have been in there to long, I would help them along. i dont know anything as far as the tea goes but its an interesting question and i would like to see what fellow members have to say about it

·
Registered
8,465 Posts
Mark, I've helped a couple tads break out with no apparent residual problems. I just cut the membrane away from them and put them in their tad container.

·
Registered
542 Posts
how exactly do you "cut" it away? may be a stupid question but ive always wondered. without injuring the tad in anyway

·
Registered
8,465 Posts
how exactly do you "cut" it away? may be a stupid question but ive always wondered. without injuring the tad in anyway
Very carefully! Some use razors but my hands are not steady enough for that. I use a clean, pointy ended toothpick and stick it into the sack, avoiding any parts of the tad, and make a hole. Then I manipulate the tad out of the hole. Sometimes they are stubborn and I've had to tear the whole sack away from them. Just go slowly and carefully.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts