Dendroboard banner

1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As some of you know, I found three Leuc eggs two weeks ago yesterday. Yes, that makes it 16 days now. Every morning I get up and stare at the eggs. Every night when I come home, I head straight to the eggs to see if they finally decided to break out. I was certain that they would have hatched tonight, but NO ! While they look great and are active, , they still aren't ready to join the world.

After putting the eggs back, I glanced over at the Leuc tank. Hmmm, interesting. My male was on the glass. Unusual to see him on the glass but not unheard of. I figured that he was chasing a bug.

I grabbed the cellphone real quick just to get a belly shot of him to check out the design. As I moved over to get a side shot, I jumped about two feet off of the ground. That's why the picture is so bad. Look carefully at his back:

I freaked out, mostly because I have no water feature in the tank. I had to speed dial DB member Chesney. This is how the conversation went....

Lisa: Did they hatch?

Me: Gah ! Gah! Ga ga gaaaaaaaaah........oogie ooogie GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!

Lisa: Hmm. They must have hidden a clutch from you. Just take a small dose cup or two add some water and turn them sideways so he can back in and drop the tad. Oh and he may run around like that for a couple of days. Don't be concerned.

Me: Call you right back. GAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH!

One or two cups? I don't think so. The entire bottom of the tank looks like the aftermath of the Beer Pong World Championships.

My wife insists that he was just a proud papa coming to the glass to show me Leuc Jr. Personally, I think that he is mocking me.

No one does it better than nature!

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm so excited!!!
That is really really exciting.
I feel like my best friend is about to give birth, and you aren't pregnant or my best friend.
No I'm not but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express once! :D

Sincerest thanks, Beth. I am pretty ramped up myself.

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
Outstanding! That is really exciting.

Regarding the unhatched eggs, take a magnifying glass and look to see if the tadpoles still have the red filament-like external gills. If not, then they are ready to hatch. Some people don't assist the hatching process, but I believe that since the parents stomp around in the gel to get the tads to crawl on their back, a little assistance while hatching is warranted.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Jim, I have been checking them out with a jewelers loupe. This morning when I looked, I can clearly tell that they are absorbing external gils. About 75% if I had to guess. I would be shocked if they haven't broke out by the time I get home tonight. I'll wait until I find no sign of the gils. If they still havent busted out, I may help them along.

And, I owe you a PM which I will handle shortly. Last night had me running around like a chicken with my head cut off.

Finally, I need to thank Chesney and all of the people that have been helping me and cheering me on. While I never got in to darts for the sole purpose of breeding, it is an awesome affirmation that I am applying what I have learned from here as well as what I have been taught by our vets. "Thank you" does not begin to come close.

The whole experience has been both incredible and humbling. Let's hope I don't screw it up!

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
Sometimes, not all will break out on their own. If their tales aren't straight when resting, they can still have some gel attached. If too much is attached, they can suffocate or be unable to eat. Flushing liberally with a turkey baster or similar device might do it' however, I often have to use tweezers or a needle to break through the inner gel sack.

Sorry if you already know all this stuff, but also, the first few days they will play dead and often won't even move when disturbed. During this time they are still absorbing the remnants of their yolk sack. So, as long as they retain their dark color and aren't bloated and/or smelling bad, all is well.

Again, congratulations.
Jim, I have been checking them out with a jewelers loupe. This morning when I looked, I can clearly tell that they are absorbing external gils. About 75% if I had to guess. I would be shocked if they haven't broke out by the time I get home tonight. I'll wait until I find no sign of the gils. If they still havent busted out, I may help them along.

And, I owe you a PM which I will handle shortly. Last night had me running around like a chicken with my head cut off.

Finally, I need to thank Chesney and all of the people that have been helping me and cheering me on. While I never got in to darts for the sole purpose of breeding, it is an awesome affirmation that I am applying what I have learned from here as well as what I have been taught by our vets. "Thank you" does not begin to come close.

The whole experience has been both incredible and humbling. Let's hope I don't screw it up!

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Jim, best to assume that I know little to nothing. That way the tads have a sporting chance.

My TWI/ASN tag is misleading. I did join TWI and earmarked my dues to the ASN as I believe deeply that these folks are doing stellar work. I also applied to be a steward. I hope to get involved with a TMP once I feel that I have enough background and experience to add value.

The short version is that yes, the I am comfortable embracing my ignorance. I warmly accept all information and suggestions.

I'll post an update tonight to see if dad shows up with another tad, as well as egg status.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
I had to google these acronyms and this is what I came up with :

TWI: Texting While Intoxicated (ROFL)

ASN: American Society of Nephrology (Kidneys??? frog kidneys, I assume)

TMP: Tacoma Musical Playhouse (now this i have to see- Zoomie in a musical! I hope its a comedy.)

So are these frog societies?

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I had to google these acronyms and this is what I came up with :

TWI: Texting While Intoxicated (ROFL)

ASN: American Society of Nephrology (Kidneys??? frog kidneys, I assume)

TMP: Tacoma Musical Playhouse (now this i have to see- Zoomie in a musical! I hope its a comedy.)

So are these frog societies?
Every one of them !

Sorry about the acros.

TWI= Tree Walkers International

ASN= Amphibian Steward Network

TMP=Taxon Management Plan

Beth, in very simple terms, people volunteer to be long term stewards of certain species in order to preserve their availability and diversity within the hobby. History has shown that certain species of PDF's in the hobby went from prolific to impossible to find when certain countries close borders to exports.

I have over simplified it. It's actually far more complex. The bottom line is that there are some generous froggers out there that commit time, valuable tank space, and resources to help ensure that certain species remain available to the hobby for years to come.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Thanks for the explanation, and thanks for helping keep the hobby healthy.
Very cool thread, I'm reading along.

Every one of them !

Sorry about the acros.

TWI= Tree Walkers International

ASN= Amphibian Steward Network

TMP=Taxon Management Plan

Beth, in very simple terms, people volunteer to be long term stewards of certain species in order to preserve their availability and diversity within the hobby. History has shown that certain species of PDF's in the hobby went from prolific to impossible to find when certain countries close borders to exports.

I have over simplified it. It's actually far more complex. The bottom line is that there are some generous froggers out there that commit time, valuable tank space, and resources to help ensure that certain species remain available to the hobby for years to come.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Great photos. I was convinced my first pair of frogs wasn't a pair until I had a similar experience. Good luck with tads.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Zoomie, that is very, very cool!! Thank your for explaining all the frog society acronyms for me!!!

1 - 20 of 80 Posts