Dendroboard banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey everyone, I did some searching and a lot of what I found was about wood that was collected. Do I need to bake/or do some other form of sanitation for a piece of mopani wood I bought from Petco? The reason I ask is because it says on the label that it is cleaned and ready for use in the tank (but it states a method of leaching tannins for an aquarium application). The wood is very dense and dry and I dont know how long I should bake it if need be.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
In short, yes you should steralize it. You never know how it was handeled, the person stocking the shelf could have been handeling some other animal prior.
Thats what I was thinking, but for how long? Temp? Before I have put small pieces of wood that were fairly moist for an hour at 300*F.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm not so much worried about tannins as I am about introducing something that could infect the tank.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Cool thanks, should I be concerned about tannins leaching or is that primarily a concern with aquariums?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok thanks, its not for a water feature, just a piece for my auratus to climb on. Thanks for the info on the water though, I plan on making a 29g or an exo terra 18x18x24 in the next few months and thought a piece of mopani would look good. I guess I stick to my original plan and use cork bark for that. I would've been pretty upset if I had found out after and had to rebuild.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
What types of of darts would those be? I enjoy making ponds with waterfalls outside and would like to give it a shot on the small scale. I accept the difficulties involved with trying to control water Haha!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.