Dendroboard banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I have just purchased my first viv after lurking on these forums for a long long while.

I have purchased a 90x45x45 exo-terra as an intermediate tank before i purchase something that is a little more robust and built for purpose.

The seller has offered me a habistat 600 thermostat for quite cheap and it got me thinkong as to whether i should heat and how i would heat the tank. It doesnt get /that/ cold here in the UK but there are the odd evenings where i put on a jumper i guess it varies from about 13degrees C at its very coldest to 23c ( so about 54f-73f is the widest temp change but i would say that 60 - 72 is the normal range). Do you think the viv lighting hood (also exoterra) will maintain enough heating or should i supplement it? I will be getting leucs by the way.

The sale comes with a heat lamp fixture that is intended for reptiles - would it be ok to heat the tank externally using the heat/basking lamp on a thermostat? I dont know if that would risk cracking the glass?

So i guess in summary - should i heat the tank from those temps and if so, is a basking lamp outside the tank ok to use to heat the tank ?

Im going to search the forums for as much info as i can tonight but i collect the tank tomorrow so could do with some quick responses if possible! I dont want to buy the habistat if i dont need to. Equally i dont want to miss out if i would need one.

Many Thanks,

Rob

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Excellent - thanks guys.

I bought the habistats anyway. My thinking is that if i dont need them for the tank i can use them to control the temperature of the fruitfly cultures in my garage.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.