Dendroboard banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I have just purchased my first viv after lurking on these forums for a long long while.

I have purchased a 90x45x45 exo-terra as an intermediate tank before i purchase something that is a little more robust and built for purpose.

The seller has offered me a habistat 600 thermostat for quite cheap and it got me thinkong as to whether i should heat and how i would heat the tank. It doesnt get /that/ cold here in the UK but there are the odd evenings where i put on a jumper i guess it varies from about 13degrees C at its very coldest to 23c ( so about 54f-73f is the widest temp change but i would say that 60 - 72 is the normal range). Do you think the viv lighting hood (also exoterra) will maintain enough heating or should i supplement it? I will be getting leucs by the way.

The sale comes with a heat lamp fixture that is intended for reptiles - would it be ok to heat the tank externally using the heat/basking lamp on a thermostat? I dont know if that would risk cracking the glass?

So i guess in summary - should i heat the tank from those temps and if so, is a basking lamp outside the tank ok to use to heat the tank ?

Im going to search the forums for as much info as i can tonight but i collect the tank tomorrow so could do with some quick responses if possible! I dont want to buy the habistat if i dont need to. Equally i dont want to miss out if i would need one.

Many Thanks,

Rob

·
Registered
521 Posts
It's 60F in your home? My room is also that cold, and my frog is fine. Sure, they won't be out as much since they are cold blooded, but it won't kill them.

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
the combination of the lights and humidity should raise your temps to the levels you want.
With my green tree frogs i had them near a window and during the winter the temps would drop and I put an infrared basking lamp suspended above the viv and the temps stayed where they needed to me.
Do not put the basking bulb directly on the glass :p

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Excellent - thanks guys.

I bought the habistats anyway. My thinking is that if i dont need them for the tank i can use them to control the temperature of the fruitfly cultures in my garage.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts