Dendroboard banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey so I have been reading on FF and springtail cultures so i am prepared when the time comes. I plan on doing FF cultures, can they be done in the dark or do they need light? Also, i read somewhere that you can just let the springtails colonize the tank somewhat so that you dont need to keep a culture of them on hand. Is this true? Are there advantages or disadvantages to doing it?

·
Registered
708 Posts
FF cultures can be kept in the dark. I keep mine in a cabinet and see no ill effects.
You can seed a tank with springtails and they should be able to sustain a population in there, but I think it's best to also keep a culture or two on hand. It's very little effort, so I see no disadvantages, but you can supplement feeding with extra springs from time to time, feed a sick frog in a separate container or seed a new tank (there will be more tanks :]).

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
Fruit flies can be done with or without light. Here is a nice thread on culturing fruit flies. http://www.dendroboard.com/forum/food-feeding/62277-guide-making-ff-cultures.html
With springtails and isopods, you want to establish them in your viv and also culture them outside your viv. You never know when you may need some in a hurry. Also, they ebb and spike in your viv so you want to be prepared for times that you may need to re-spike them. Here is a nice thread on culturing springs and isos. http://www.dendroboard.com/forum/food-feeding/66991-how-culture-isopods-woodlice-springtails.html

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks! I looked through those threads before but probably missed some things. I plant on really getting the cultures going 2 weeks before I get frogs. So i still have loads of time to research.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Springtails can take longer than 2 weeks to really get going, especially if something goes wrong. Be prepared for that.

·
Registered
118 Posts
The more time for research the better! I've been keeping frogs for over four years and I'm still learning new things every day.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Thanks! I looked through those threads before but probably missed some things. I plant on really getting the cultures going 2 weeks before I get frogs. So i still have loads of time to research.
Honestly, I would start culturing FF's at least a month beforehand. They are easy, but it is smart to have plenty of practice. Plus, you can make a few extra cultures...not only so you have back ups, but you never know when a local will have a crash and need some flies.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
OK thanks for the advice! I will probably start them mid january then. That should give me at least a month.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts