Dendroboard banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
Yes, but too much leads to the media drying out and the culture not producing well. I have learned that in the winter when things are drier it helps to have less ventilation to keep the media from drying up. You can use a petri dish to cover up some of the holes on the vented lids.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Would poking a whooooooooole lot of small holes in the top work or do you need the fabric kind?

·
Registered
19,318 Posts
You don't want holes unless you want problems.. even small holes in the lids allow invasion by phorid flies (as the females will deposit eggs through the hole into the culture) or invasion by flighted fruit flies... You could have mating occur between the flies in the culture and the flies outside the culture or eggs laid directly into the culture.. You really need a tighter lid.

Ed

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
Holes would also allow for mites to contaminate your cultures easier.

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
The lids the sponsors sell are very cheap and work great. I'd recommend them over a coffee filter and a rubber band. You're just asking for problems by doing that IMO.

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
The lids the sponsors sell are very cheap and work great. I'd recommend them over a coffee filter and a rubber band. You're just asking for problems by doing that IMO.
They are also re-usable with a bleach soak or a gentle cleaning.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts