Dendroboard banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alternate question: Is there a PAR meter that isn't super expensive that still functions well?

https://www.amazon.com/Apogee-Spect...r&qid=1560108882&s=gateway&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1

^This PAR meter appears to be the best reviewed on Amazon by a long shot, as far as things called PAR meters that appear to actually be PAR meters. (Sometimes searching for PAR meters yields devices that claim to be PAR meters but are actually just Lux meters.)

I already know, of course, that the plants I grow aren't worth a ~$555 PAR meter, but I'd like to know if users here have had good experiences with a PAR meter of any kind, and if ones of a lower price are actually any good.

·
Registered
210 Posts
You can sometimes find one for rent in your area, and this allows you the use of a much better piece of equipment than you would be able to buy.

Solo

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you don't mind, could you elaborate Solo? Do you mean like at a large retail center like Lowe's or Home Depot, or a private user advertising it like a craigslist or FB Marketplace ad?

·
Registered
210 Posts
I was more thinking a hydroponic store or a local salt water aquarium group. Sorry, that was my mistake to not fully answer the question.

Solo

Reactions: Kinstrome

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No worries!

There aren't as many hydroponics / aquarium / non-franchise pet stores in the Greater New Orleans Area as I'm sure are elsewhere, but I can try looking at them.

I do want to be able to test things as they come in, though, so it may be something for which renting is not useful or cost-effective in the long term. But it's at least worth calling some places and seeing if they'll do it.

·
Registered
210 Posts
If you are looking to buy then the accurate and reliable PAR meters are expensive.

$300 and up in my experience.

Solo

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
After the last post, I did make an account there and ask about it. I haven't got any responses yet, but I'll keep a tab open.

I also tried the two "specialty" stores I know of around here. One, I was surprised to learn, didn't even remotely know what it was. The other said they had actually thought about buying one to rent out recently, but that they thought it wouldn't be worth the risk.

It's all right, anyway. Most lights useful specifically for plant-growing have PAR ratings, either included by the manufacturer or, in some cases, recorded by a reviewer.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts