Dendroboard banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just wondering if anyone has made their own tank and where they bought their glass or acrylic from? also how hard or easy it is. i know it will cost a lot less than buying the tank from say a petsmart or petco and thought it would be cool to have a tank i made by myself from top to bottom. any help or info is appreciated, thanks.

·
Registered
4,548 Posts
Not entirely true about the cost.
For example, around these parts, if you wait for sales at the right shops, sometimes you can get ten gallon tanks for 8-9 bucks.
I'm almost certain you could not build the same thing for that price, even if you didn't count the time it took to make it.

I've rebuilt a few glass tanks, making them taller, adding ventilation, misting nozzles etc., and I've built a few small acrylic tanks.
By far I like working with acrylic better, but time will tell how well they hold up without scratching.
One of the first vivs I built when I was a kid used a plexi front panel, and got scratched up (from careless cleaning probably) real quick.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Smaller tanks such as 10gl are pretty cheap, i get them for 8 or 9 dollars. However large tanks; over 100 gallons, are pretty expensive. It is these tanks that it is cheaper to build than buy.

Luke

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ya well for me around here in cali a 20 gallon tank is around $30 and a 29 gallon tank is about $40 so i figure i can make tanks for a little cheaper than this or am i just looking in the wrong places?

·
Registered
4,548 Posts
Those prices sound pretty reasonable.
I still don't think you're going to save much till you get up to around 60 gallons, and then where you will save is by using thinner glass than is used for aquariums.
I choose to DIY more for design flexibility than for cost.
For example, just about every time I've planted/set up a pre-made tank, at one point or another, I find myself wishing it were just a little taller.
Another thing about DIYing youre own tank, once you go with a front opening design, (for terrariums anyway) you'll want all you're tanks to be accessable that way. (just my opinion)
As far as materials go, contact every shop in town, and maybee a few out of town...sometimes you'd be surprized how much costs can vary from shop to shop.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This is something I have looked into, being that I've worked in pet stores and managed the aquatics department of the last one I worked in. Due to the cost of the trim material, it is not going to save you any money unless you are building a tank larger than a 60 gallon, as previously stated, assuming that you are matching the standard designs. Thinner glass may save you some money after that point, but not a lot. DIYing a specialty tank with a hinged front opening will certainly be a lot cheaper than special ordering it from a tank manufacturer however. This is something that I am looking forward to doing some day when I have some money to burn and the right tools and time.

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
For the most part small tanks in stores are a lost leaders unless its a specialty tank. in fact most stores charge more for a 5 gal then a 10 gal. The idea is to sell tanks at or even below cost and make up the profits on the filters, decorations, etc. Unless your going with a large Viv I wouldnt bother making my own. Remember your frogs life and furnature may be at risk if you get it wrong. Besides in this hobby as is in reef keeping, the tank is often one of the cheapest parts.

Bob

1 - 7 of 7 Posts