Dendroboard banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello

I'm in the process of building my 1st vivarium.
This is what I have in mind:
  • vivarium base 40cmx40cm (16"x16"), height 50 cm (20").
  • foam background, driftwoods.
  • hand misting 2-3 times a week, no water feature, fogger once or twice a day.
  • moss, saleginela, ferns, other greens.
  • one pair of Azureus.

I'll build a DIY led light using CREE spot light GU10 from ebay:
Ultra Bright MR16 E27 GU10 E14 GU5 3 CREE LED Spot Lights Lamp Bulb 9W 12W 15W | eBay
I intend using the following mix:
4 x 9W, 510 lumen, 6500K
1 x 9W, 510 lumen, 3200K
Please note the bulbs actualy use 6W, to generate less heat, so the total wattege is actually 30W, and the total lumens are 2500.
The ratio of 80% cool white and 20% warm white is trying to mimic "Jungle Dawn".
Cooling, if needed, with computer fans.

Do you think this recepie will yield good results?

Thank you

Amit

·
Registered
92 Posts
I would be wary of ebay led lights. I've had mixed results, but the overall experience has been bad. They will probably not be actual cree leds, and the lumen ratings are often overstated. (so I doubt 510-540 is accurate, and that doesn't even get into the quality of the spectrum of the light for your plants). Mine have also tended to die pretty quickly-- within around 6 months.

I'm running several GU10 12watt spots in an exo-terra compact top over a set of 12" exo-terra cubes. They barely keep moderate-light plants alive at around half the distance to the bottom of the tank. (so around 6" away). They are fine as accent lights, but not great for plants.

Conversely, I've used Cree brand (compact flourscent "style") LED's from the local home improvement store, and four of those ~$15 (US) light the bottom of my 24"x18"x18" exo-terras fairly well. They aren't as bright at my T5HO fluorescent fixtures, but are great for the price. They might be cheaper where I am than in other areas-- our power company has subsidies on the Cree LEDs available at Home Depot and Lowes.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
assuming the spotlights will stand up to the specifications provided by the supplier, will it be O.K?
Will 2500 lumens, 80% at 6500K, 20% at 6500K, do the job?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
assuming the spotlights will stand up to the specifications provided by the supplier, will it be O.K?
Will 2500 lumens, 80% at 6500K, 20% at 6500K, do the job?
sorry, I messed up the numbers.
the correct parameters are:
2500 lumens, 80% at 6500K, 20% at 3200K

thanks

·
Registered
92 Posts
I tend to shy away from lumens as a rating for how the plants you choose will do (as lumens try to show how the light looks to your eye, and not how the light looks to your plant), however, depending on what you can find locally, I would look more closely at options before choosing what you listed.

I included a photo that shows the bulb I bought today (but I missed the price, it was $20 US) on an 18w cree brand (100w equivalent) bulb. Those are 1600 lumen bulbs, and I would want at least four of them on a tank the size you're using (for the moderate-moderate/high (depending on placement) light plants I tend to grow).

If you do have good luck with the GU10's, please post your results. It's always nice to see how different setups perform.

The color of the lights will probably matter more to you than the plants. At the power you're looking at, the CRI will only be cosmetic (ie, if you were trying to grow fruit, you'd need a lot more light, and might want to get the right CRI to help the plants do that). I like cold light, so I'd always go 5500+ in my office. That said, everyone I know likes warm light (4k-), so, to each their own.

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts