Dendroboard banner
1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Started a project for several months ago (about 1 january).
Have had small terrariums with geckos and saltwater aquariums and been thinking about getting me Poison Dart Frogs for years and years.

I desided to make a special habitat from Peru using only Peru plants and plants that grows naturally in the Peru region.

Dimensions are:
35x40x100cm

Light:
55w T5 round
W-reflektor, modded to the round t-5 light

Dekoration:
RockZolid (modded to a rock)
Epiweb (Product from Sweden, thanks Micke Epiweb)

Plants (all exist in Peru):
Microgramma squamulosa
Masdevallia kimballiana x ampullacea
Barbosella culcullata
Pleurothalis spec. Peru import
Masdevallia herradurae (Peru import)
Pleurothalis obovata
Platystele misera
Neoregelia Tarapotensis (Peru import bromeliad)
Microgramma lycopodioides
Pleopeltis polypodioides
Microgramma latevegans

Frogs:
3 R.imitator Varadero/Jeberos (unknown sex)

So now I've finally done it and this is how its done and how the end result looks. The terrarium has been going for 4month now. Hope you get inspired to start your own habitat.

4 small frogs enters the terrarium:

The terrarium in my office:

Plant and moss progress 4 month of growing:

·
Registered
253 Posts
very freakin awesome! I'd like to see how you constructed a door and that is glass right? not acrylic. Any more pics would be fun to see to. any pictures of the residents?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Beautiful!
Thanks!

very freakin awesome! I'd like to see how you constructed a door and that is glass right? not acrylic. Any more pics would be fun to see to. any pictures of the residents?
Thanks!
THe door slides along a aluminium list and works as a hole side when closed. I made the hole terrarium in 6mm and the doors and top are 5mm. The thickness of the glass helps the terrarium to be balanced.

Some more pics of the building in progress.

Black silicon inside of the glass for a clean look.

Rockzolid background modding:

Light 55w osram t5 in place:

Glassdoor aluminium sliding with ventilation:

Plants in place, some plants have died (to bad):

Final result of backgrund and the fake tree made of Epiweb at the floor of the terrarium:

·
Registered
483 Posts
Very nice! I have always wanted to build a 360 vertical like this. I hope your co workers don't mind the sound of the imitators when they call. They may never know what it is if you never tell them.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Beautiful! I love the epiweb tree. How do you water the vivarium? Is the pipe running through the tree (I am assuming it provides some mechanical support) also functioning as a channel for airflow?

·
Registered
275 Posts
absolutely beautiful.....awesome frogs as well!

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
Beautiful tank.....R. imitator 'varadero' are such beautiful frogs.....Make them easy to see in that tank.

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
Hey Illustrator

I see you have microgramma squamulosa listed.....How easy/hard is it? I got some but can't find much on it's care.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thank´s every one!

Hey Illustrator

I see you have microgramma squamulosa listed.....How easy/hard is it? I got some but can't find much on it's care.
Microgramma squamulosa is easy, don´t let it get to wet. That´s my opinion. Let it dry out between the misting. But i only got 4 month of experiens.

Damn my English has become so bad, hope you guys can live with the Swenglish.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Wouldn't have even known if you hadn't said something about it not being your native language. Your typed english is better than 90% of people in the USA.

·
Premium Member
2,747 Posts
Pretty awesome vivarium! The only reason I would see that you might have lost some orchids is that they like to have a little drying time between waterings. Do you have the mist on a timer, so that you can manipulate the water cycle a bit?

The Varadero imitators are great. Have you had any calling/breeding since you introduced them to the vivarium?

Take care, Richard.

·
Registered
827 Posts
After seeing your illustrations and now this, I'm definitely a fan of your work! This is the type of tank I've wanted in my collection for a long time. Something unique with the center piece a huge tree trunk type thing. I'm jealous.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Thanks for sharing on this board also. Pls keep us posted with new photoes ;)

1 - 20 of 69 Posts