Dendroboard banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys. Living where I am has its advantages and disadvantages. On of the cons is no cool tech like the MistKing systems, hygroloan, moss mix and many more. I have began to make my own MistKing (sort of) and i have come to a wall of some sort. I got some tubing, nozzles, drip stoppers, even a nice precise timer, but the pump is a challenge. Here is a picture of what I have:

As you can see they are pretty small compared to the batteries i put there (for reference). The nozzle has a pretty good spray, fine but thick.
I have two options, connect it with the small tubing and to the big hose (second pic) OR directly to the hose. OR get some T`s and try to split the big hose into T`s and put it inside the viv, but that would really complicate things.
Now I know its not pretty but all those things cost me around 8 USD.
The real issue, the pump... I have managed to get a few links of pumps that have a nice flow and pressure, but when i heard them they are SO noisy.. let me show
DC 12V 100PSI Diaphragm Water Self Priming Pump High Pressure Car Boat 3L MIN | eBay
DC 12V 60W 5L MIN Diaphragm High Pressure Water Pump Automatic Switch Dint | eBay
Both are pretty similar, second one is a bit more powerful.
Now here is the movie some dude shot : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g35FKngIodQ
That sounds really loud to me. I asked the seller what if it was on a firm rubbery surface would it vibrate the same as on that bucket like that, the guy said its still noisy.
If anyone has experience with these things, has tried this before or something, I would be really grateful for a friendly advice, suggestion or what not.

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
I have never tried it, but those tubings and misting parts do not look like high pressure parts. they look like the type that are designed to take water pressure of a house line. You may find them to be inadequate for a 100 psi diaphragm pump. Or they might just be too high of flow for that pump.

The cheap Chinese pumps are loud. You are going to have to spend a little more to get a pump that is quiet. look into pumps designed for reverse osmosis boosting etc...

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
I also have some doubts regarding these tubings. Search the stores that sell stuff for air compressors, you can find them there: they are cheap.
The noise of the pump lasts a few seconds: for this price it is bearable, IMO.
If I'm not mistaken, these pumps have one of the two outputs of 8 mm, then you must find connectors and adapters.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Connectors and adapters are going to be bought after the pump, so i know the diameter needed and so on, that is not a problem at all. The tubings you see are rated at 4 to 6 BAR which is a bit lower than 100 PSI, so my choice of pump would have to be something in the lines of 60-80 PSI. I have tested these with the man in the store and he connected it directly to a hose and where i live its about 4 bars.
Now If you guys are right and the nozzle and tubes dont hold, I will continue looking :)

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
If you have tested everything, it is the best thing, go safely. You easily find connectors 6 mm or 8 mm in local stores (I live in a small town and here I found everything I need, Ulka pump included), not so those 4 mm (which I buy online). But it is best to get before the pump. I'm sure everything will be fine.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I searched for reverse osmosis pumps and the price is 3x times which is quite higher, but there is little to no noise with them... astonishing. I will be looking into this, but the shipping costs as much as the pump its self :( really not cool.
Also I thought of a way to connect the nozzles to the top of the viv, via ball joint mounts or swivel mount. I have no idea if that is the right therm but it will let me adjust the angle and stuff, and connect it to the top/side of the viv.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok making progress on the Pump. The guys at reptiles-planet are getting new products out and one is the Repti Rainforest pro which is a system for misting. Pretty much looks like the mistking, with the drip valve nozzles, but there are two HUGE filters... and that whole thing looks massive ... the price would be too.
Point being they use reverse osmosis boosting pumps from Dengyuan TYP-2500 (thats the number). So far so good, it`s a 24V, 80 PSI pump, really quiet. It can be found for around 40+ USD.
Now it looks like I wont be able to find pretty nozzles like the mistking, so lets hope my crappy ones do OK :D If not... i will asks Marty to send some over the mail I guess, if that is an option :D
Will keep you guys updated :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts