Dendroboard banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so let's be honest, I know there are a few "king of misting systems" out there....but...I wanted to try my hand at diy. A basic setup with a couple of dual nozzles was going to run me around 170-190ish based on current prices....well...I only had 70$ and wanted to see how far I could get. So for a little under 65$ I got a pump, power plug, seconds timer, and 6 misting nozzles from Amazon. Thankfully I had most of the other odds and ends to get this all hooked up lying around. So it's only been going for a few days I can't comment on the longevity of everything but...so far it's working pretty well! The little misting nozzles come apart so I can clean them but I really like how it all works. Now...the pump is a bit..annoying... but it goes off when I'm at work so I've not experienced it on a day off. Thankfully it's only on for 7 seconds at a time! Anywho here are some photos. I'll try to get a video and some links to the listings if anyone is interested.
Linky

Attachments

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just wanted to give a quick update on my DIY misting setup. I really like it! I'm still tryna figure out my schedules, but everything seems to be going well. The little pump is a champ, but it's not at all quiet. My wife is about to be off from school (she's a teacher) and gave me worried looks when it fired up. Thankfully it's not on any longer than 30 seconds every 12 hours (the timer can do 19 different combinations....it's a neat little device!) I've been using distilled water in a little 3.5 gallon bucket that I topoff every 2 or 3 weeks. I also recently added another 6 misting nozzles, to the 6 that I already had, to help get water around the tank more. For those of you who use an automated system, do you still have to hand mist from time to time? I find I don't get enough water to keep my broms filled. I don't mind the occasional manual watering. Gives me an excuse to play!
Here is a parts list of what I got from Amazon. All of the hardware I got from my local hardware store.
Pump
Misting Heads
Timer

Attachments

·
Registered
2x Dendrobates leucomelas
34 Posts
Hi Teddy, thanks for the updates. This is a super cool thread. I want to do a DIY misting system myself.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'd suggest it again to anyone. I know there are premade setups but sometimes I want to set if I can do it my self, for cheaper. Now the question will be how long will this all last? I guess time will tell.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I'm thinking about trying something similar but using a submersible pump I have laying around. The only annoying thing is that it doesn't kick on instantly so not sure how that will work with a seconds timer.

What was your strategy to dial in your misting regiment?

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So, like yours, my pump takes a second or two to charge up pressure so I have it set sunday-saturday to run 30 seconds at 6am, 5 seconds at 12pm, and 5 seconds at 6pm. I recently started turning off my fans because my broms were showing signs of the humidity not being high enough so I'm hoping this setup and schedule will help that.

·
Registered
34 Posts
So, like yours, my pump takes a second or two to charge up pressure so I have it set sunday-saturday to run 30 seconds at 6am, 5 seconds at 12pm, and 5 seconds at 6pm. I recently started turning off my fans because my broms were showing signs of the humidity not being high enough so I'm hoping this setup and schedule will help that.
What did the broms start looking like at lower humidity? Were they drying out?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts