Dendroboard banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
still new around here and new to vivs..just wanted to share that i just found at home depot 2 foot long flex and stay hose (stays in any direction u want) with mister nozzle adjustable spray pattern and with a ball valve for 8 bucksall quater inch tubing . im going to hook this up to pump in a bucket of water with a timer and see how it works. anyone do anything like this..i just figured it would be great for the price as long as u have a pump laying around

·
Registered
82 Posts
What kind of pump are you using ? There in lies the KEY to misting system success ( low volume high pressure) I have put together many different misting systems using many different ways different pumps and misting heads adding air pressure and so on . It always seems to come back to Low volume high pressure. To much volume makes a heavy rain that at least our darts don't seem to care for and seems to flood out and erode the viv rather rapidly . Not enough psi. and you end up with a trickle stream witch is no good ether . Keep us posted we are always interested in a less expensive misting system. I personally have found it hard to beet Mistking. As far as time , $$$$ verses quality and reliability go I will throw the few extra dollars at Mistking any day of the week.

·
Registered
38 Posts
still new around here and new to vivs..just wanted to share that i just found at home depot 2 foot long flex and stay hose (stays in any direction u want) with mister nozzle adjustable spray pattern and with a ball valve for 8 bucksall quater inch tubing . im going to hook this up to pump in a bucket of water with a timer and see how it works. anyone do anything like this..i just figured it would be great for the price as long as u have a pump laying around
Just my two cents but throughout the hobbies I've had in my life, I've also tried my hand at saving money by trying to find cheap ways of doing things. The thing I've learned time and time again is that everyone else trying to do the same thing. The point is that if you look on here you will find a majority of people sticking to some tried and true ways.

Seems most people recommend hand misting for a small amount of vivs and a Mistking system for a group of vivs or if you want something completely automated.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to dissuade you from trying something new but help you evaluate whether the time and expense is worth it.

·
Registered
454 Posts
@kychris: i agree with you but I don't think that just cause others do it one way means thats the way to do it. the silicone gs method was "the way" for ages and then clay came and now many use concrete+foam as well...

However, I do agree overall that the HD cheapo systems are just that: CHEAP. If you have a HUGE tank to water, it will probably work....but unless you have a LOW VOLUME HIGH PRESSURE pump, you will be flooding things out pretty badly in my experiences too...

with that said though...what if you put a BALL VALVE before each nozzlehead and halfway closed it to drop the volume and raise the pressure some more....might improve your mist? I haven't tried anything other than HD Sprinkler heads and a Mistking, and they are NOT comparable imho.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I have a similar diy mentality and funny enough i tried going down this route too when i didnt want to fork out 100 bucks for a mistking system. Some things to consider before you dive in are the costs of all the parts that youll need for your home depot solution, the timer needs to have the ability to set time in seconds rather than minutes and the nozzles need to mist not drench. If your able to find a decent price on those your good togo, i wasnt able to find anything at the time that was cheap enough.

However now you could try this:
-grab a second timer from mistking $25
-search the boards for a thread on diy home depot mist nozzles $10
-pump $0 (since you have one)
-tubing $4

And you could throw it together and hope that having your timer turn on for 1 or 2 seconds will push the right amount of water out using your pump.

Goodluck

·
Registered
12 Posts
I was looking more into the nozzles since I do have a mistking pump but recently got a deal on some cages But if I don't find a cheaper alternative for nozzles I think I'll be working over time for some from mistking.

·
Registered
552 Posts
you know that pressure and volume are inversely related...
It's inversely related to surface area... when you add flow in there I'm not sure how it effects the equation.

Anyway, why doesn't everyone just buy cheap pumps, put a bunch of flow limiters on the line and get 15 bar out put? You still reach the limitation of the pump.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Just my two cents but throughout the hobbies I've had in my life, I've also tried my hand at saving money by trying to find cheap ways of doing things. The thing I've learned time and time again is that everyone else trying to do the same thing. The point is that if you look on here you will find a majority of people sticking to some tried and true ways.
I actually find that one of the strengths of this hobby is the creativity and "do it yourself spirit" - people using weird materials in ways they were never intended to be used - GS, Egg crate, gorilla glue - building vivariums from other peoples scrap glass. That is what I like so much about this hobby.

·
Registered
454 Posts
It's inversely related to surface area... when you add flow in there I'm not sure how it effects the equation.
lol...volume and surface area are directly related....

you might be confusing cross-sectional area? i dunno, but if you limit the volume you will raise the pressure...the nearest approximation which you may have familiarity with is PV=nRT ... P = 1 / V ...inversely related.

another way to think about it is to consider where the water molecules can "go". You lower the cross-sectional area, but wish to move the same volume of water in the same time (and you must do so because the water "before" the valve is still getting pushed forward by the pump at maximum power). The pressure (and therefore velocity) of the water particles increases since the tubing will resist any lateral forces and redirect them in the only direction that isn't being resisted: forward.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts