Dendroboard banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a really simple light idea that I've used on aquariums and am considering using for my viv. I find an old table lamp (usually $3.00 apiece at good will), smash the base, and keep the fixture / cord assembly. I then put the fixture(s) in some kind of housing (painted rain gutters work well), screw in a 65k CFL bulb, add some tin foil for reflection if I feel like it, and call it a day. Can anyone see any issue doing this with a viv?
I attached an example of how I did this to beef up the lighting on my fluval EDGE desk aquarium. I removed the stock bulbs and attached the lamp fixture / 65k cfl bulb with super space age technology. I'm sure the humidity will drastically reduce the effective lifetime of the fixture but it's already been in use over a year and for a whopping 5$ for the fixture / bulb combo I can't complain.

Attachments

·
Registered
43 Posts
+2 ditch the electrical tape, make a proper mount, you're just asking for bad things to happen... Walmart sells a nice little lamp socket in the hardware section, that's rubberized and easily pushes through a think it's 1.25" hole in your material of choice...

Also, flat white paint is a much better reflector than tinfoil.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the advice fellas. I certainly don't plan on using my "space age attachment" method for the viv and only used it on this tank because there wasn't space for anything else. The edge aquariums are very compact - the light and filter area are in a tiny compartment so you can't see them - and there isn't room to add anything larger without ruining the tank.
Good to know about the effectiveness of the tin foil vs. white paint reflection. That'll certainly save me some work.

·
Registered
43 Posts
There's a terrific chart kicking around, can't seem to google it... Compares PAR output of a few different 'typical' bulbs with various DIY reflectors... Think it was over at aquaticplantcentral or theplantedtank forums... Grrr why can't I find it, it was such a great chart...

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Let me know if you find it, would love to give it a read.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts