Dendroboard banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. I'm going to be doing a DIY little grow out tank to fit in the shelf of my bowfront stand and I was wondering where i can get the black trim for the top that has a lip hat the glass lid can sit on. I don't think I need plastic trim on the bottom just the top with a lip. All the DIY threads I have looked brew show no plastic trim at all so Idk what it is called or where to get it so I can cut it to my size

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
15 min order plus 15 min shipping 30 bucks seems a little steep to me for less then 2 feet of siding

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
Skip it. Glue half of the top directly onto the top edges of the glass tank. Set the other half on, tape it in place, and glue your hinges on. Let dry.
Now you need to make it fruit fly proof. Wrap waxed paper around the opening part of the lid and tape it on. Run a bead of silicone around the edges it will close against. Close the lid. The waxed paper keeps it from sticking to both surfaces. Let it dry for AT LEAST 24 hours. Detach your tape and open the lid. Peel off the waxed paper. The silicone should have formed a perfect gasket for you. You can now trim it clean with a razor blade if you like.
Saves you some money and it looks cleaner and more "custom". Slope front pics are all I have but it works the same way.

Attachments

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks guys. Im still not set on what im doing to more options or ideas are welcome. The clearance on the tank and the top of the cabinet is going to be very small so i most likely will have to pull the tank out to feed.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts