Dendroboard banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know that in most cases, it is sorta looked down upon to make your own FF media. I have been thinking though that if properly formulated a DIY media would be much more beneficial to the flies than something commercially made.

I was reading on this website and I think that I want to use a modified version of the first recipe.
http://www.livefoodcultures.com/FruitFlyFood.html
For some reason they suggest to use bakers yeast, but if there is one thing that I have caught onto, it is that Brewer's Yeast is next to essential not baker's yeast.
I was thinking for best results it would be something like...
-8 Bananas
-1/4 Cup Sugar
-1 Tsp Molasses
-Oat Meal
-Brewer's Yeast

Has anyone tried or had success with a DIY media?

·
Registered
634 Posts
I was looking at ways people create thier own media the other day. I forgot the link. If i find ill post it. Those ingredients look similar but your missing a mold inhibitor.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Why would you think it's looked down upon??? Many people on here mix up their own media.

I've had success using a very basic media (below) that has the added advantage of being able to be mixed in large quantities and stored on a shelf. (Freezer space is highly valued here!)

(Can easily be doubled, tripled, etc.)
6 c. potato flakes
1 c. brewer's yeast
1 c. powdered sugar
2 T. cinnamon
1 t. methyl paraben

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Not within the DB community, within the large name breeders. I am just repeating what they said (not going to mention who), but I know that it's false statement because they want people to buy their pre-fabbed media so they get cash.

I assume then that vinegar and methyl paraben act as mold inhibitors?

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Yes, they're mold inhibitors and so is the cinnamon I believe.

I'm all for supporting the sponsors. However, once your collection grows, the money saved can be used for other things the frogs need. I still buy the methyl paraben and brewer's yeast from a sponsor. And there's nothing wrong with making it yourself even if you only have 1 frog...I find it fun. :)

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah I understand 100%. I have another question though, I noticed alot recipes including yours, include potato flakes. Does that refer to the ones used in instant mashed potatoes?

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks wendyshall, that's why I asked because I have all the ingredients then since I have potato flakes.

And I agree jhonnyrocks about the banana's for sure now that I think about it!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.