Dendroboard banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Due to the recent inundation of inquiries as to how to cool a viv, I have found a few useful links for DIY cooling systems that are easy (even if you are not technical or mechanically inclined), can be made for a relatively low cost, and can hopefully help someone save a frog or two. ;)

DIY Cooling Systems

How to Make your Own Homemade Air Conditioner

How to deal with a loss of power?

Amazon.com: APC

A small investment to preserve our hobby :)

·
Registered
253 Posts
Great links!

I think it's prudent to mention some of the things that cause a tank to hold in heat.

1. Your lights are generating heat and need to be raised. It's entirely possible that you are over lighting your viv so look into cutting back the amount of light you're using.

2. Lack of circulation. Modest venting isn't going to bottom out your humidity. Completely sealing off your viv is never a good idea.

3. Misting will only help to reduce the temperature if you have air circulating. See #2

4. Remember, decomposing organics in your viv will generate heat as well. No escaping it! See #2.

Anyone else care to add? I know I'm probably missing a few of the other obvious causes.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Good stuff Justin.

Same to you MrFusion. Ill add one or two.

Even with your lights raised off the tank a couple inches, the amount of light that gets into the vivarium causes a greenhouse effect and will raise your temps.

Running water features (pumps) will raise your temps.

Generally, vivariums closer to the floor will be cooler than higher vivariums in the same room.

Larger vivariums are easier to maintain consistent temperatures and are less prone to temperature spikes and drops.

A layer of water (either in a false bottom or drainage layer of any kind) will help with temperature consistency.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts