Dendroboard banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
distilled water is okay but make sure u dust the food, distilled water can wash out some nutrience in the frogs as they absorb it. I use spring water and reverse osmosis water is fine too.

·
Registered
68 Posts
GodJockey said:
distilled water is okay but make sure u dust the food, distilled water can wash out some nutrience in the frogs as they absorb it. I use spring water and reverse osmosis water is fine too.
I find it interesting that you say that. Everybody I have talked to about this claims distilled water is the best. But I've always wondered if being sprayed with water hypotonic to the frog would "wash out some nutrients." I still use distilled water, and it doesn't seem to harm my leucs. Maybe misting them with it only exposes them to a small enough quantity at a time that it does not matter. But what about the water dish? Hmm...thanks for the post, now you have me thinking about this.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think its simular to a hypoisotonic solution.

Hypotonic drinks
Where the concentration of sugars and salts is lower than that in the body. This means fluid is taken up by the body very rapidly aiding rehydration. Typical drinks include weak solutions of carbohydrate polymer drinks, or well diluted fruit juice. The carbohydrate in these drinks is there to aid fluid absorption rather than to provide an energy fuel.

I could be wrong tho.. i have no idea.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Tonicity applies to all solutions. It is used when decribing the concentration of solutes in a solution, a hypotonic solution has a lower concentration of solutes. It is a relative term, i.e. saying that distilled water is hypotonic to a frog means the distilled water is hypotonic relative to the frog. As we know from biology class, the water from the hypotonic solution will diffuse to the hypertonic solution making the concentration of solutions equal. This osmosis action explains why salted meat repels bacteria, the solute concentration is higher on the salted meat so the water gets "sucked" out of the cell. My concern from this lesson is not that the frog will lose nutrients as I said earlier, but that the distilled water could lyse some cells in a frog. I would not necissarily see this happen either until it killed the frog. Oh geez, I'm just scaring myself. Sorry about the long post.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well i just took a stab at it, i'm no biologist nor herpitologist or what not. Lets get a more seasoned Frogger fill us in.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts