Dendroboard banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If there isn't already then there could maybe be a sticky somewhere for beginners that outlines pertinent questions to assess the integrity of livestock suppliers before making a purchase.
This was a fantastic suggestion made recently. We should all act on it.

There is a thread like this here, but I think it needs some improvement and elaboration via community input. Let's have a discussion here (reply below) on your suggestions for helping people to avoid scams, questionable livestock and other negative transactions.

Names of people and vendors are not permitted in this discussion, nor any other here. This is to discuss general practices for safe online frog (and related material) purchases. Helpful ideas will be compiled in a stickied thread in the near future.

If you have something to add but don't want to do it publicly, please PM me. Thanks. :)

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
Do your homework. If you are anything like me you want to buy from someone who is ethical, sourced their breeding stock ethically, and who deals with like minded individuals. If there is a seller here (or facebook or anywhere else for that matter) look at their past history on the forum. Vendor feedback is a good place to start here, but look at their other posts and threads. It should give you a good idea of if they are ethical and who they have dealt with in the past.
Look for people who have the best interest of their animals in mind first and foremost. They should be as interested in you and your capabilities/values as you are of theirs. They will tell you what you need to hear rather than what you want to hear.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Just off the top of my head I would always ask what conditions have you been keeping these animals in and did you bred them yourself? if not what is their provenance and how long have you had them for? What has their diet consisted of and what supplements have been provided to them?
I wouldn't for example buy frogs from someone that had only been dusting food with calcium supplements but not things like vitamin A in order to prevent short toungue syndrome that could very well only manifest well after you've taken ownership of the animals.
It's probably inconceivable to most of the members here but very recently I was talking with the otherwise apparently perfectly intelligent owner of an aquatics shop who began telling me about his unsuccessful experience keeping and breeding dart frogs. This is someone with a phenomenal understanding of the needs of a huge variety of tropical fish that he also successfully breeds and yet he had managed to build a large elaborate planted vivarium and aquire a 'colony' of 'darty frogs' but literally had no idea that regular supplementation was stricly necessary for captive amphibians. If you can believe this he didn't even know what species of frog he had either.
It's actually not inconceivable that you could manage to breed frogs without providing appropriate supplementation but dramatically fewer offspring would survive and the chances of them being afflicted by defficiencies like short toungue syndrome would skyrocket. This guy may then have perfectly innocently, and perfectly ignorantly, sold on froglets with a very poor prognosis.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts