Dendroboard banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
I've kept and raised a lot of dart frogs and never once used a hygrometer. Waste of money. If your viv is mostly closed in (a vent or two are fine), you mist a few times a week or more, and you have some standing water in the false bottom, you should be fine. You can tell by condensation on the glass and the moist feel when you put your hand in the viv, if your humidity is OK.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Pls note that digital hygrometers mainly shows 10-90% humidity only. Mine Exo-Terra doesn't show more than 93% ever. Those what shows above 90% are three times more expensive.
Analog Exo-Terra are showing 20-80%, so it's not an option for PDF tank, where you need to measure 70-100% humidity mainly.
I have both, and found analog to be a waste of money, while digital can be used only up to 90%.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have bought this one, but I´m not sure if it works properly. It shows up to 99% humidity. But it differs 5 degrees in temp when compared to an analog and another digital one.

I think it´s fairly accurate showing humidity.

But I´ll guess the human eye is better when it comes to mesuring humidity.

·
Registered
8,328 Posts
I think people stress out WAAAY more than necessary over humidity and temps. Never ever do I think people need a hygrometer.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I have a humidity controller in my emersed tank as a safty measure it will turn on my mistking if RH drops below 75%. the reading on it is almost always HH though which is out of range and it is a high precision controller set to top at 95% I really don't think you need a gauge as long as you have condensation you are above 85% in most cases. I'm more concerned about temps because they vary more in my apartment but right now they ranging from 74-80 between night and daytime so I'm happy with them (in the tank that is not my apartment).

Len

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
I have some digital gauges that show, tems, temp range, hummidity and humidity range that came from Walmart or HD. Are they perfect, probably not but accurate enough to get a general feel for the room, its current conditions, and conditions over the past 24hrs. I have them placed at different spots in the room, different heights, etc and this has really helped me get a good range of temps and humidity. Like someone else mentioned if you have some condensation on the inside of your glass, you mist a few times a week and the tank is mostly closed your humidity range is almost definitely alright.

I think temp range is probably the most important to manage, temps in the 60's or 80's could be bad for your frogs, depending on species. Keeping temp ranges in the 70's has produced the best results for me, and that seems to be the general consensus on ideal temp range...

·
Registered
50 Posts
I've kept and raised a lot of dart frogs and never once used a hygrometer. Waste of money. If your viv is mostly closed in (a vent or two are fine), you mist a few times a week or more, and you have some standing water in the false bottom, you should be fine. You can tell by condensation on the glass and the moist feel when you put your hand in the viv, if your humidity is OK.
You just saved me at least $20. Now what should I buy instead...:D

·
Registered
8,328 Posts
for what species of frog do you think temps in the 60s is bad?
And what info are you basing this on?

·
Registered
583 Posts
When I first got into the hobby I was worried about the humidity, but after awhile I realized it wasn't difficult to manage without measuring it. I agree with the others that keeping it mostly enclosed, misting regularly, and you'll be fine. For me, I've been more worried about temperatures in the winter. My first vivs were in my basement where it got down into the 50s at night even with the thermostat turned up. My vivs did fine and rarely did temps drop below 65 in them.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
for what species of frog do you think temps in the 60s is bad?
And what info are you basing this on?
I guess I should clarify upper 60's isn't bad, but the 70's seem to be target range for pumilio and most of your other commonly kept PDF's. Some of your Ameerega & Epips like it cooler and 60's might even be ideal.

"I think temp range is probably the most important to manage, temps in the 60's or 80's could be bad for your frogs, depending on species. Keeping temp ranges in the 70's has produced the best results for me, and that seems to be the general consensus on ideal temp range... "

As my initial statement mentioned, this varies "depending on species" that you keep.

"temps in the 60's or 80's could be bad for your frog". Again, this COULD be bad, depending on species you keep.

"A target range of the 70's has produced the best result for me" -- speaking from personal experience and incinutating that 70's are the goal.

one example of what I am basing my statement from:

http://www.dendroboard.com/forum/care-sheets/17486-dendrobates-pumilio-advanced-expert.html

1 - 16 of 16 Posts