Dendroboard banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a group of 4 red galacs and I was wondering if people that keep them are seeing the same behavior. My galacs like to dig. In one upper corner of the tank i have a cork curl that is filled with substrate with gravel on top. Here they dug it all out and made a little den for themselves. I found this one because one day when i was feeding because i could only find one of the little buggers, and searched and searched and finally looked through the top of the tank to see one of them in this little den they dug out, turns out all three were in there. I pushed them out of there and covered it back in with larger rocks, but they have started it again. The other spot is in the far upper corner on the other side of the tank from their little den. In this spot, one of them actually dug out a corner of the coco fiber background and hangs out there.

Anyone else experience this? Is it normal?

·
Registered
507 Posts
digging red galacts

Aaron,

My group of red galacts do the same thing if given the chance, I remember the quarantine tank had a falst bottom made with an undergravel filter plate used in aquariums. When I decided to move the frogs into a more permanent vivarium I distinctly remember the panic as I removed the plant, water dish and pothos cuttings to find the tank. Where the hell are the frogs, I've found no jerky bits lately. So I started to scoop up the sphagnum moss and found a hole in the filter plate, all 5 galacts were under the plate together. Talk about relief.

I now put cork plates or driftwood into their enclosure to provide hiding spots. This group has also never used a breeding hut, they always lay in film canisters.

Thanks
ERic

G

·
I use magnolia leaves and my group of red galacs love that. I havnt caught them digging yet. I'm almost sure I got 4 males also I been hearing them call allot, sounds kinda like a fly hitting a metal can or some thing.

·
Registered
986 Posts
My New River Tincs dug a hole under one of the rocks for the waterfall and decided this was an ideal place to lay eggs. :? I guess it's time to put a coco hut in there or something, but I kinda like the setup like it is--sans coco hut.

G

·
the galacs love to dig, more than any other frog i have
almost sold them, because i never saw them..

then i had to make room for some new terribilis, so they went in to the same tank, since then they been out every day

maybe time to put in some other frog with them? =)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts