Dendroboard banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I dont have any of the charcoal and dont want to wait to make some new cultures. So I layered a shoebox with dead leaves and seeded it with springtails added some yeast and gave it a good mist. This should get them produeing right? I was also thinking about doing the same thing with sphagnum moss. Has anyone ever tryed anything like this or know how well it works.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
People usually have them going pretty good in leaf litter, after all in the wild thats what they live in. I have large colonies going in all my shoeboxes, which have sphagnum as a substrate, so they should work.

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
I blended in an old blender leafs and soil that have a compost/moister absorbent product from Miracle Grow together and it worked great. Be sure to dampen Once a week sprinkle fish food across the top for food. I also a few big pieces of Cypress Mulch chips for the springtails to climb on and tap or place in tank for frogs to feed.
Later and Happy Frogging,
Jason Juchems

·
Registered
617 Posts
I use rehydrated coco bricks as a base substrate. On top of that is a 1/2" layer of approx. 1" to 2" squares of the woven coco fibers. I feed the cultures on top of the squares. This brings the springtails into the squares which I shake into a delicup to feed out.

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
AJ_Cann said:
How do yu harvest from LECA Brent?
Same way as with charcoal. I just tip the container up so water pools in a corner and I scoop up the floating springtails with a strainer.

The only problem I have with charcoal is that it can be hard to find the natural charcoal in the right size in the States.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts