Dendroboard banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
whats the differance in the different varieties of isopods? are they close to the same size as springtails?

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
From what I understand they all serve the same basic functions (tank cleanup / random snacks). The differences are in size, breeding habits, and breeding speed. I have some dwarf purples that I can barely tell apart from springtails, oranges that aren't breeding very quickly (but hey, they're orange!), and some giant canyons that breed like rabbits and are about the same size.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks alot. 10 years ago when i had frogs, food was limited to fruitflies and springtails. All this is new to me.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Definitely get your hands on some Giant Orange Isopods. Awesomely huge (bigger then a TicTac) and fun to see out in the tank. Dwarf White Isos will breed the fastest in tanks and, the striped dwarf grey too. The Orange are quite large. The babies will be consumed allowing the larger mothers to continue breeding. The white and grey are smaller and good hiders. They will give a steady supply of food.

If you dont know, you can get a nice starter culture from someone on the board or a sponsor
This is the best thread on culturing isos
http://www.dendroboard.com/forum/food-feeding/66991-how-culture-isopods-woodlice-springtails.html

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys, i'm gonna have to look them up and buy a few cultures. picking up some Auratus end of the month in Hamburg,Pa.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts