Dendroboard banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
0.0.3 Dendrobates tinctorius "boulanger", 0.0.3 D. auratus "Reticulated, or Hawaiian"
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am new to the dart frog community and have a 18X18X24 Exoterra set up for my dart frogs. I had initially purchased 2 D. tinctorius boulanger frogs from Dart Frog Connection (I did not know about their reputation before purchasing as I just recently found this message board). I had wanted to get three in order to up my chances of getting a breeding pair, but only two were available. Since that time, ~ 1 month ago, I found one D. tinctorius boulanger on Josh's Frogs and purchased him to get up to my desired 3. My only worry is that he looks slightly different from the other two on its ventral surface (Slightly more yellow).

Now, I could just be being paranoid because of all of the horror stories I've read on here about DFC, but I want to be sure I'm not mixing localities. The new frog is slightly smaller and most of the patterning is the same. I am at work and cannot include pictures but I can when I get home if that would help.

I wanted to know if there is a way that I could distinguish between the different localities (Specifically: D. tinctorius boulanger and D. tinctorius cobolt).

Thank you so much for any help.
- Rex S

·
Registered
29 Posts
From my understanding, boulangers are dwarf tincs while cobalts are larger. Color is slightly different too.

·
Registered
0.0.3 Dendrobates tinctorius "boulanger", 0.0.3 D. auratus "Reticulated, or Hawaiian"
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
From my understanding, boulangers are dwarf tincs while cobalts are larger. Color is slightly different too.
Okay, that's a great starting place. Hopefully, with some research, I'll be able to get a more positive ID soon.

·
Registered
311 Posts
JF tends to sell their froglets right at 3 months oow so that would account for the size difference at this point if you bought it a month later.

·
Administrator
4,860 Posts
Apparently, 'Boulanger' and "French Guiana Dwarf Cobalt" are possibly the same morph, just with different names. "Cobalt" is a much bigger frog, I understand.

If a frog has an apparent visual ID that conflicts with the ID the breeder gave, that frog should not be bred. Visual IDs are not reliable, and if the breeder's ID is in that much question the frog could very well be a morph cross.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Front Left by himself is the new Guy/Gal

Excuse all the excess calcium dust they were just fed :whistle:

Attachments

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Apparently, 'Boulanger' and "French Guiana Dwarf Cobalt" are possibly the same morph, just with different names. "Cobalt" is a much bigger frog, I understand.

If a frog has an apparent visual ID that conflicts with the ID the breeder gave, that frog should not be bred. Visual IDs are not reliable, and if the breeder's ID is in that much question the frog could very well be a morph cross.
Ah, this would explain why I cannot seem to find distinguishing factors between the two localities.
The difference in size is failry minimal; a difference of a few millimeters at most. I've included some pictures in a reply to the post.

·
Administrator
4,860 Posts
Just to clarify: I've mentioned three morphs in this quote. The first two may be synonymous; the third is definitely not.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Just to clarify: I've mentioned three morphs in this quote. The first two may be synonymous; the third is definitely not.
I see, I am less concerned that they are Cobalt as the size is far more consistent with Boulanger or FGDC. Do you have any respectable sources for differentiating between different localities/subspecies?

·
Administrator
4,860 Posts
Do you have any respectable sources for differentiating between different localities/subspecies?
Visually? No.

There aren't ssp., and like I said, locality is a matter of genetic lineage back to collection point.

Contacting the sellers and asking about your observations, and about lineage info, etc., might be informative especially if you set your BS detector on 'high'. ;)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Visually? No.

There aren't ssp., and like I said, locality is a matter of genetic lineage back to collection point.

Contacting the sellers and asking about your observations, and about lineage info, etc., might be informative especially if you set your BS detector on 'high'. ;)
Lol That is some sound advice. Thank you so much for the information and time!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.