Dendroboard banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since they are similar looking frogs I could see myself going either direction. I'm just curious about others experience with these two frogs. I hopefully can hear from someone who has kept both. What are the differences in behavior? Which will i see more? Any feedback from people who have owned either or both would be appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
370 Posts
My understanding is they are probably from the same population. The Iquitos came in with locale info. The amizonicus have been in the hobby longer but with no locale info. These frogs should not be mixed. I would guess behavior would be about the same. My Iquitos are very shy. I believe it's because my frog room gets very little human traffic. It has been reported that they become bolder when subject to more foot traffic. They will become bolder as they get older and when exhibiting breeding behavior.

Hope this helps

·
Registered
826 Posts
From what I've heard an read they may be the same frogs. Use the search feature and read up.

I have 2 groups of iquito vents. One group is shy one group is much brighter red and quite bold. They come right to the front when I feed.

I wouldn't yet mix the two species, just what I've been heard. Hopefully the "experts" can tell us.

Shaw

·
Premium Member
2,747 Posts
If you call them Red Amazonicus, you can charge twice as much for the offspring!

Richard.

Reactions: Erikb3113

·
Premium Member
2,747 Posts
I see a lot of variation even in my 2.2 group of Iquitos vents. Lotters suggests that even at a single locality, there may be as many as four different species (all imitating each other). R. uakarii often has the red lines fading into yellow on their flanks.

Richard.

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
I have the Iquitos vents, but not the red amazonicus so I can't tell you any differences between them (thought I imagine there would not be much since I believe they are very similar if not from the same locality, just without definitive locale data.) My Iquitos vents are great frogs. They were very shy for awhile, but after about 2 years now of being in a heavy traffic area they have become pretty bold, about the same as some of my auratus and tinc juveniles. One older female in particular doesn't even care if I open the top to do tank maintenance, while the other two, which are a bit younger, are out and about and just hide when I open the top. The male has a nice call and I can see their strikingly bright colors from across the room easily.
Bryan

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
My Kelly line 'Iquitos' went form shy to bold when I started feeding more springtails. They don't come out for flies, but are constantly out hunting for springs.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts