Dendroboard banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Eggs/Nutrition in Egg Feeders

I am helping a professor with a project studying egg-feeding and nutrition in Dendrobates pumilio. We are hoping to develop artificial diets to mimic the nutritional content of the eggs.

I know that some informal studies have been done on this. Can community members share with me what they know? If there are any published reports, please let me know as well.

Questions:

What is the nutritional content of unfertilized eggs?

What artificial diets have people tried?

Any more info would be helpful too.

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
There was a publication a couple years ago on feeding pumilio other frog eggs. I think it was published in Herp. Review. If I ever get my library organized again, I'd be able to provide citations for such things. I know of a few diets that have been tried but rather than describe second hand and get details wrong, I'll hold off to see who responds with first hand accounts.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Hey there.

What artificial diets have people tried?

There is a great section on this in the Dendrobatidae book by Siegfreid Christmann. It is in his volume III book on histronicus frogs. There is a large section on artificial diets in there. But he admitted to limited success. Alexander Stubbs also tried a mix with termite guts. I am vague on the details but he could give you more insight on that. Also, Rob Melancon (forgive me Rob if I butchered you name) has a really interesting article on his website about his experiences surigating pumilio tads. My own experince has been limited as well. I had some bruno tads come my way and attempted egg feeding from unfertilized azureus eggs. It didn't work out so well. Nature still is king where pumilio are concerned.
Dave

·
Registered
19,318 Posts
There is also some discussion on using hard boiled egg yolk in Zimmerman's Terrarium Animals book by TFH.

Ed

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
And I believe Hesselhaus discusses the raw egg yolk method which is tedious and limited in success. There have also been salmon egg attempts. As far as I know, the only real success has been using congeneric eggs from other species (D. auratus has been used) with the jelly removed. Personally, I think there are two components that need to be brought together. The tads apparently refuse to eat most foods. Apparently they will eat egg yolk but grow poorly on it. So it seems to me that you need to combine the appetite stimulant with a nutritious food.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
As Dave mentioned Siegfried P. Christmanns volume 3 book on Histronicus frogs states on page 312 and I quote : The digestive tract of ootrophic tadpoles consist mainly of a stomach-sack, on the walls of which there is obviously only [/u]one active enzyme.This is responsible for transporting the basic plasma, of which the "abortive-eggs" consist. He also mentioned that when trying the egg yolk method, most of the tadpoles accepted egg-yolk when given in drops, but did not digest it, the egg-yolk was visible in the stomach/intestinal bag - as a pale yellow spot-(remaining for days) with no spurt of growth.
Im sure with the research your about to undertake you may find a solution to this ,We look forward to your progress reports , good luck. :wink:

·
Registered
64 Posts
Just wondering, are you working with Dr. Urquhart?

-Niels

1 - 7 of 7 Posts