Dendroboard banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m wondering if anyone has insight on tadpole development and factors that influence the time it takes to show legs. I’ve raised about 30 P. terribilis from eggs and found that the speed of development is widely varied, despite a carefully controlled temperature environment, with some tadpoles growing legs up to 2 months before others even appear. There doesn’t seem to be a difference between my genetic lines, so I’m wondering if it’s simply a factor of density (they’re raised in a tank in groups of 5-10 tadpoles). Any other factors I might not be aware of?

·
Registered
260 Posts
In my experience with terribilis tads, I've raised them all in the same communal tank. Anywhere from 5 to 20 tads in the tank at the same time. Those that all went in at the same time generally developed and came out of the water at the same time +/- a couple days.

Are the groups you have separated developing at the same rate per container or are you seeing a wide range within each container of 5-10?

·
Super Moderator
2,936 Posts
I see this same thing and I raise them communally. They are laid in clutches, but it seems that only one or two at a time are ready to come out of the water. I suspect there is some chemical signal that may only allow one at a time to finish developing. Could just as easily be something else, though 🤷‍♂️

Mark

·
Registered
314 Posts
I've raised them in individual cups and in groups, and don't see much of a difference between the two methods. Out of a recent clutch of 16, 11 have made landfall within a week of each other, with 5 more behind them right now that will probably be about a week between the 3 fastest and 2 slowest.

I have noticed my communal tadpoles seem to grow and develop faster, but that's more than likely because I'm less concerned with overfeeding due to a larger water volume and their penchant for feeding frenzies, so although I haven't measured it they're probably getting more calories in that situation.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts