Dendroboard banner
1 - 20 of 170 Posts

·
Registered
829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After talking to my husband and kids, we pulled these two eggs a bit ago. That way we can watch them develop up close.
I just found these eggs yesterday, and am not sure how far along they are. They are also partially covered with algae from the top of a film can.
Hopefully these will progress well!

·
Registered
974 Posts
Congratz!

Nice find! They'll be no stopping them now!

I'd say those eggs are no more than a week old, I'd say around day 6 by my experience.

Johnc has posted some great photos of eggs through the stages somewhere around here.

Would definately be worth a look for you.

Goodluck,

Richie

·
Registered
829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the username Richie!
I had been searching like crazy for egg shots like that, just never typed in the correct search term to find them!

One person has commented that the eggs look flipped, and if they were they will mold over. If that's the case (hopefully not) how long would it be before they mold over?

·
Registered
974 Posts
No problem!

Hmm, they look right to me!

You can clearly see the head and tail forming, so don't fret.

They don't look flipped at all.

Never had any moulding take hold myself, but I'd presume fairly quickly.

You have about another 10 or so days till they should be fully formed and thinking about hatching.

So if there any problems you'll notice them very soon.

Richie

·
Registered
3,152 Posts
They look great. One looks a few days older than the other one.

I'd also put a couple drops of blackwater extract around them to retard fungus.

I wait to pull eggs until I see their bodies moving as there is less chance of abortion that way.

·
Registered
829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No problem!

Hmm, they look right to me!

You can clearly see the head and tail forming, so don't fret.

They don't look flipped at all.

Never had any moulding take hold myself, but I'd presume fairly quickly.

You have about another 10 or so days till they should be fully formed and thinking about hatching.

So if there any problems you'll notice them very soon.

Richie
Alright then, I wont worry too much about it :)
It will be very interesting to document any changes each day until they hatch. I'll be sending pics of the process with the boys to school.

Thanks again for your help!

·
Registered
829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

I wait to pull eggs until I see their bodies moving as there is less chance of abortion that way.
I hadnt planned on pulling any :eek: I had originally wanted the parents to raise them all on their own, but after my family talked about it, we thought it would be a neat chance to watch them up close.
Not sure if I'll pull any more or not, but if I do I may pick up some blackwater extract to try out.
Doesn't the almond leaf tea help with that as well? I could make some up easily.

Thanks for the suggestions!

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
Yea tadpole tea made almond leaf will do the same....Just don't submerg the eggs with the water. Get it to the edge of the egg mass and keep the humidity up in the container. I have pulled 3-4 clutches it is very interesting to watch how they develop. It also keeps the parents dropping clutches as well.

·
Registered
829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Got, thanks! :)
Pics from this morning. The mass slid down the leaf over night, and was almost in the water- so I used the slurpee straw to gently move it back up the leaf. I then cut a square from the leaf, and put it on a piece of egg crate with the water all around it.
Here's the pics from this morning- I'm going with a guestimate that they are @6 days old today. If anyone else has a comment on the age of the eggs please let me know!! I have friends, family, my husbands coworkers and kids classes who are following the development of the eggs, so I want to be as accurate as possible.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts

The glare from the first picture just made one of the tads look more developed. Looks like it's all from one lay to me.

·
Registered
829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
At this point I haven't done anything special to them- just used the same water I use to mist the viv's with. I haven't been able to run out to a store the past few days.
They seem to be doing pretty well! I saw the embryos wiggle this morning while taking the pictures.
@7 days old-

1 - 20 of 170 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.