Dendroboard banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay to start this 1st thread off i would like to thank all the active members of this forum that have helped to educate me on everything about PDF's and such.( including all the acronyms ;) ) So i have a 30g tank that hopefully will soon be home to a group of D.Auratus but until then... i will pester you with noobish questions.
1. I would like to create a forest floor vivarium and would love to see any pictures or links to tanks that yall have created or used as inspiration.I know someone wants bragging rights! I am also planning on having a waterfall feature and want to see how that is set up exactly. What design ideas should I incorporate into the placement of plants and other hardscapes?
2. I have already purchased a few varieties of plants such as Philos, terrestrial broms, and java moss. What other plants would be reccomended? I want some fern type plants that can be used on the coco fiber wall. Any websites that are reputable and cheap would be appreciated. (highschool student with not much money :eek: )
3. I cannot locate and egg crate at lowes, HD, or any other local hardware store. Is there any replacements other than LECA because i like the stacking to create higher elevations and making compartments for water pump accesiblity.
Those are all the questions that i have at the moment but i am sure that i will think of more later on. Again thank you for all your help thus far and i can supply pics of the build once i get my camera back !

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
The eggcrate is usually found in the lighting section at home depot sometimes kind of hidden. joshes frogs has cheap plants/cuttings but i would look around the classifieds for plant clipping usually cheap and have some good viv suited plants. take a look at some build threads for some ideas on how to do water features and design. good luck

_Dillon

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i found some light diffuser but its just like a flat sheet with dimples almost in it, never the grid like kind

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
In my experiences with HD/Lowe's, 90% of the female employees and 95% of the teenage guys are out of their element and don't know what/where a damn thing is besides paint, plants, and lumber. Ask a 30+ year old male employee for a "light louver," and I'm willing to bet he'll know where it is. Look for the dude that looks like he knows the difference between an impact driver and a miter saw, that's your guy.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
at our lowes AND home depot, the egg crate is way at the back in the lumber area near molding and not near the light department!

are you going to do any background at all?

I have been collecting plants locally and you can find some nice viv appropriate plants at home depot and lowes, you just need to be careful to process them so they don't contaminate your viv. I got a creeping ficus with white edges for 99 cents and another creeping plant that will be good on the back wall but I forget its name when I was browsing at Home Depot and a lady asked if I needed help. I told her I was looking for vivarium plants and she handed me several small pots of plants that were perfect for cheap. I even got a plant at walmart. See if there are any froggers local who can share clippings too. Since joining this group I've become brave about "stealing" clippings from any plant I see that suits my fancy - from work, from outside the shopping mall (non-viv related but i got the coolest yellow, red and burgundy coleus this way) etc.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Okay i'll look for THAT guy then ;) and yes Beth, I am planning on doing the whole silicon, great stuff, coco fiber method for a background. Also have some nice peices of wood to press in there. And yes i have found very nice Philo species in Lowes and some pink unknown species of Bromeliad in honor of breast cancer awareness. Is coleus a good viv plant?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts