Dendroboard banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally separated my second pair of leucs from the first pair that is laying eggs because they were not getting along. So the pair I moved is a male and female but the female keeps digging the moss up and digging herself in the dirt and just sitting there until I move her. She doesn't seem happy. I just moved her two nights ago. Should I give her more time to settle in? Will she die of depression? I did see her eating this morning only after I touched her butt a little to make her get out of the dirt. It doesn't seem normal that she sits in the dirt. Let me know what you think.

Thank you!

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok maybe that's it. It is 79 in the tank and the one she was in was pretty much always at 73-75. I'm going to take one of the bulbs off. I have two 6500 32w bulbs in a shop light.

From the dirt to the bulbs is 11 in. In distance. I'm taking one bulb off now.

·
Premium Member
2,747 Posts
Hi Andry,

I agree with Megan to try to keep them cool. My leucs also really take to getting a nice hand-misting everyday, which helps to keep the humidity up in the tank.

Good luck with her, Richard.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok, I at first turned off the lights completely and it does change the temp to 75 instead of 79. They did seem to be doing better. At least they came out of the dirt and were more active. So, today, I took one of the bulbs out of the fixture + I also moved the lights up 2 inches more. But the temp still stays at 77. I turned it off again and back to 75. Is it because it's a 10 gallon tank that it tends to stay warmer. I have one bulb on my 20H and it's 73 in there. I guess I will have to buy a different kind of bulb for my fixture that isn't so strong. :(

·
Registered
39 Posts
It could also be that it is digging into, and sitting in the dirt for moisture if your tank is not humid enough....just a thought....ross

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well it was in the 80's for humidity yesterday but 99 today. So I guess they are doing better one way or another.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You know, I think I have figured out that it's the moss they don't like. It's called sheet moss from lowes and they didn't really have that kind in their old tank. So it's a bit harrier and I don't think they like it. Should I pull it out? But I don't have a different type of moss to put in there. Or should I add some gravel rock to the top of it to press most of it down for them?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Personally i would advise leaf litter. Your frogs will appreciate it because it is a more natural substrate than a perfect moss floor. It also gives isopods and springtails places to hide and breed aswell as frogs places to hunt them. You will probably see more activity with your frogs with leaf litter because of this. I use washed oak leaves and then microwave them for a few seconds (this is even after i have brought them from a dartfrog supplier on the net who on the website states they have been cleaned) just to be on the safe side and piece of mind. I think they make the viv look better also but thats just my opinion......ross

·
Registered
508 Posts
I agree with adding leaves. Is this your new female? If so, she always had some sort of water feature to cool off in -

Go out and dig up some termites - that'll perk her up. Uh, lemme take that back - get one of the kids to do it... ;)

best,
kristi

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi Kristi, no it is not the female you sold me. It is my old one. The humidity in the tank is 99% and maybe more but that's all the reader will read. So, she sat in the dirt all day yesterday whether the tank was cool or not. Last night we changed out a lot of the moss to java moss which doesn't feel as poofy and I will watch them again today to see how they do. The male seems to be doing much better and out and about.

The pair I left in the tank seem to have felt the change as well. Well, at least the male did. Your female is too new to care that I took some friends away. The male didn't call for 2 days in a row at all. He seemed so confused and looked for his brother.

My husband was already telling me to just put them back, but I say we wait at least a week to see if they all settle down.

·
Registered
508 Posts
I do hope she gets better. Leucs are really easy keepers. It seems like the swampier the conditions, the happier they are, tho my trio are pretty tickled in the new tank. Is she still eating? Have you seen any frog logs from her? I see a lot of my frogs sitting in the water features in their tanks at times. Must feel good, or maybe it helps regulate their body temperature.

Have gotten any eggs/tads/froglets yet?

Don't stress, girl - she'll be okay.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yeah I know my leucs love their water feature too. Unfortunately this was just a temporary tank and it does not have a water feature. She's doing ok but not great. I have seen her eat. But he just stays in one spot for most of the day. The temps are good now humidity is right. I'm getting ready to move her back. Besides I'm trading the male look that is with her tomorrow so I don't want her to be all alone.

I only have one tadpole so far ready to morf out. He has back legs. I have 3 eggs developing and 3 more laid yesterday. That's it. I would have done better had the pairs not been together. That second male leuc was always kicking the eggs around and at the end there I witnessed him eating them. So out he goes.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts