Dendroboard banner
1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

As promised, I'm going to keep you updated with these guys. I have them in the RC and the males are calling like crazy. Hopefully, within the next few months, I will have some froglets going and if I get some eggs within the next few days, I will post some pics.

These guys are pretty rare in the hobby and I'd like to hold back on some of the froglets, but these guys lay a lot of eggs. I'm thinking that I should be able to offer some of the froglets, depending on how the development stage goes. If anyone has any rarer tree frogs or glass frogs and is interested in these giraffe, we could possibly do a trade. Feel free to PM me. If you have some rarer darts and want to PM me too, that's also fine.

Thanks,

Nick

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Also, besides trades, I meant to throw it out to you guys for your opinions. What do you feel these guys would be worth to you? Just curious to get some ideas on how people feel.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
I wouldn't pay much more than what a standard clown goes for, they are so prolific that the hobby will be flooded with them in a year if people are successful with these imports.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Nick, are you in it for the money or would you like to see these made available in the frog hobby? After so many years we finally have the opportunity to have them available to the community. I agree with Tony they can go for a little more that the price of a regular clown but gouging wouldn't be right.

·
Premium Member
2,747 Posts
Like other captive-bred D. ebreccatus or leucophyllata, I would think $30 would be a reasonable price with a quantity discount.

Good luck with them, Richard.

·
Registered
259 Posts
In it for the money? All I was doing was asking what you guys felt was fair. Just trying to get some ideas on what people were thinking...take it easy guys.
Sorry but I said what I said because you were looking for high end trades on rare darts or glass frogs and then you asked about price. You didn't mention which dart so Ill stay with the glass frogs. If your expecting trades for true glass frogs you're obviously expecting a pretty high return for your clowns. Now this is a free market and you have every right to ask for a heafty premium while the demand is high and the supply is low on these frogs. But your reference to rare darts and glass frogs is what led to my concern about the exploitation of the hobby with the giraffe morph. I don't know how many are out there but if there are only a few I would like to see them in the hands of experienced clown frog breeders. That is what will ensure their expansion in the hobby...and that is what Im ultimately looking for.

·
Registered
309 Posts
I don't think that you can just dismiss something rare and say this morph should cost as much as the one that is already CB all the time and comes in as WC all the time. I don't think this is the case with lots of other frogs. Its not like all vents cost the same amount or all auratus are exactly the same price or even pumilio. To assume they should cost a lot is wrong but to also pretend like they aren't worth any more than the common morph is just as off.
Logan

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
I don't think that you can just dismiss something rare and say this morph should cost as much as the one that is already CB all the time and comes in as WC all the time. I don't think this is the case with lots of other frogs. Its not like all vents cost the same amount or all auratus are exactly the same price or even pumilio. To assume they should cost a lot is wrong but to also pretend like they aren't worth any more than the common morph is just as off.
Logan
If we were talking about darts that would be a valid point, but theses are tree frogs. Clown tree frog females average 400-600 eggs per clutch and they are not difficult to breed at all. As I said earlier the market will be flooded with them in a year if people are successful with these imports and breeders won't be able to give away everything they produce, much less sell at a premium or trade for rare darts.

·
Registered
19,322 Posts
Isn't there an old adage that directly relates to this topic...

Something about "Don't count your chickens before they hatch".....

This is going on with both sides of the discussion... people are predicting large clutches and the OP is predicting getting good eggs... both of which seem to be premature as there is a alot that can happen between now and any froglets morphing...

Ed

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hi everyone,

Thanks for your thoughts and for sharing. I didn't comment often, but did read what people were posting. I don't engage in debates that can come from these forums, but I do appreciate the feedback. I'll keep you posted on how the frogs are doing.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Isn't there an old adage that directly relates to this topic...

Something about "Don't count your chickens before they hatch".....

This is going on with both sides of the discussion... people are predicting large clutches and the OP is predicting getting good eggs... both of which seem to be premature as there is a alot that can happen between now and any froglets morphing...

Ed
That is exactly why I qualified my statements with "if people are successful with these imports." Going on the assumption that they will do well though, would you trade rare darts or glass frogs for them, knowing firsthand how prolific Dendropsophus sp. are?

·
Registered
4,749 Posts
Hi everyone,

Thanks for your thoughts and for sharing. I didn't comment often, but did read what people were posting. I don't engage in debates that can come from these forums, but I do appreciate the feedback. I'll keep you posted on how the frogs are doing.
Good luck with them. Its always nice to see folks working to establish new species in the hobby.

·
Registered
19,322 Posts
Going on the assumption that they will do well though, would you trade rare darts or glass frogs for them, knowing firsthand how prolific Dendropsophus sp. are?
Wan't it a little less than 2 years ago that the population of hourglass treefrogs had collapsed to a couple of groups.... I seem to remember something to that effect..

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I intend to work hard to bring these into the hobby and hopefully with success. These are really beautiful little guys. I understand the difficulties that can occur when breeding species and therefore, as mentioned, was just looking to get some of your thoughts. I also wanted to know if people had interest in this species or not.

I do want to comment on the issue of price. Several posters mention that these should be sold for the same price as normal clowns. Although, the frogs do lay a great amount of eggs, selling them for the exact same price as clowns is not logical to me. I have spent a great deal of money on these, as well as time and energy getting them healthy. I have received several PMs with interest and thoughts on this topic, but am possibly thinking of $75 each. I will keep you posted.

Thanks,

Nick

·
Registered
19,322 Posts
them healthy. I have received several PMs with interest and thoughts on this topic, but am possibly thinking of $75 each. I will keep you posted.

Thanks,

Nick

No offense Nick, but I think that announcing any potential price is a mistake for several reasons. including the following; if you only produce a few froglets (which can easily happen) then the potential price of any froglets could be higher as it may not reflect costs to produce those offspring, in which case people could harbor bad feelings.

As with Ray I think you should value them as you see fit, if the price is too high then the market will let you know.

Reactions: Mapp
1 - 20 of 85 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.