Dendroboard banner
1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I received a group of these from Peru. I paid for them several years ago, but did not receive them. Several years later, here they are. Not sure on the logistics so please bare with me.

I'm also not sure whether they are Dendropsophus leucophyllatus "giraffe" or Dendropsophus triangulum. The person who sent them claims they're leucophyllatus, but I'm not sure.

Here's some pics.

Thanks,

Nick

Attachments

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Wow....the holy grail of Dendropsophus species for many people. Both leucophyllata and triangulum are highly variable, but those look like textbook giraffe phase clowns. Would you be able to provide details of how you acquired them....I have talked to quite a few people who have spent years looking for these frogs (myself included). I wish you the best of luck with them!

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'd rather not get into all the details about how I got them. It's complicated because as I mentioned before, they were owed to me before, but finally were brought in after several "discussions".

Any other thoughts on the species?

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Glad to see you were able to get them. I tried to buy some a few months back, probably from the same guy, but he stopped responding to my emails when I asked how many he would have available and how much they would be. :confused: Sounds like I may have dodged a bullet.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Has some thought been made that the fungal skin condition might be Chytrid?

If so, a different line of treatment is needed of course.
In the cases of chytrid I have dealt with it has presented as a more or less uniform buildup of skin over the entire body, not patches like in that pic. Not to say that running them through a round of treatment would be a bad idea, there are no side effects to the lamisil method and I have made it part of my acclimation routine for imports.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
A step ahead of you Shawn. I had two vets, one who specializes in amphibians, take a look at some pics of these frogs. They both said that it looked like a bacterial/fungul skin condition, but not chytrid.

·
Registered
19,329 Posts
Yep.. the article I just linked to has sonograms so you could record it and compare. It also has morphometrics of both leucophyllatus and triangulum across thier range so it should held distinguish them apart.

Ed

1 - 20 of 77 Posts