Dendroboard banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wouldn't it be very cool to have a book put out by Dendroboard using solicited articles and info from the forum itself? I think it would be a great way to allow the very knowledgable people a chance to be published, and also gives others a chance to contribute that are very knowledeged on a specific species, and so and so forth.

Maybe the "editor" could post a topic weekly to be adressed in the book and have people offer articles/care sheets/tips/etc, and the "editor" will choose which are the best, or what is useful/legitimate info.

I realize it takes some money, and also the trust of a publisher, etc, but wouldn't it be great?

Thanks for reading!

JBear

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think the problem here is citing sources..which doesn't happen much on a forum.
It could be as simple as listing contributors after the "chapter" is finished. I think that would satisfy anyone who had contributed and was published. Even if you disassembled all the articles/care sheets, etc, you would still say John Anyone, and Jane Someone, etc contributed to this chapter.

I appreciate the feedback DJ!

JBear

·
Registered
840 Posts
You'd need a very good editor to weed through all the chaf and also someone very knowledgable about keeping Dendrobatids long term. Not just what's considered proper for keeping the animals today, here on Dendroboard. Not everyone keeps Dendrobatids the same way and, believe it or not, what you see posted here on Dendroboard is only a part of the hobby and mostly the younger, less experienced part of the hobby. What's in fad here may not be the best way to keep our animals. Judging from the quality of offspring i see today compared to wc adults I'd say we all have A LOT to learn, especially myself.

Best,

Chuck

·
Registered
791 Posts
You'd need a very good editor to weed through all the chaf and also someone very knowledgable about keeping Dendrobatids long term. Not just what's considered proper for keeping the animals today, here on Dendroboard. Not everyone keeps Dendrobatids the same way and, believe it or not, what you see posted here on Dendroboard is only a part of the hobby and mostly the younger, less experienced part of the hobby. What's in fad here may not be the best way to keep our animals. Judging from the quality of offspring i see today compared to wc adults I'd say we all have A LOT to learn, especially myself.

Best,

Chuck
*cough* ed *cough*

·
Premium Member
2,747 Posts
I love the idea, Jbear. There have been several hobbyists who have produced useful books by drawing on their experiences raising poison dart frogs. There isn't any reason why the members of Dendroboard couldn't put their collective experiences together in a volume that would aid newcomers to the hobby.

Let's do it! Richard.

Reactions: jbherpin

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I was working on a "Table of Contents"...

1. Introduction to Dendrobatids

2. Housing

a. Temps
b. Humidity
c. Enclosure Size and Parameters
d. Construction

3. Feeding

a. Suitable Food Prey
b. Supplements and Benefits
c. Culturing

4. Species Accounts

a. "Insert Species"
b. " "
c. And So On

5. Breeding

a. Sexing
b. Stimulating
c. Depositon Sites
d. Egg Harvesting
e. Tad Rearing
f. Metamorph Care
g. Harvesting vs Parental Care

6. Pictorial

7. Morality, Ethics and Conservation

8. Suggested Reading

9. Credits and Citing Sources

End

Would this be a good foundation?

Thanks for the replies and interest!

JBear

Reactions: Woodsman

·
Registered
19,312 Posts
Well given that any postings are the property of dendroboard don't you think it would be at least politic if not polite to ask the owner of dendroboard before embarking on such an endeavor?

Ed

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well given that any postings are the property of dendroboard don't you think it would be at least politic if not polite to ask the owner of dendroboard before embarking on such an endeavor?

Ed
I was not talking about doing this myself, but if Dendroboard does not want to, and others would like to help... depending on the response(s), I may consider it personally.

I was honestly looking to popularize an idea in the hopes that the DB owner and trusted admin/mod team would notice and perhaps consider the idea.

I completely agree, If I were to aspire to put together a book based on collaborative input taken from this website, I would assuredly ask permission, otherwise I would be stealing.

JBear

·
Registered
725 Posts
I was thinking by book you just meant a very nice (free) pdf collaborated by the powers that be on PDFs and stickied here somewhere...
i've thought about this idea too. then we could get rid of the beginner discussion and put this there instead hahaha :p

1 - 12 of 12 Posts