Dendroboard banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just finished reading Volume II of "Dendrobatidae ..." by Christmann. It is a pretty good read. Volume II is about the Quinquevittatus group. You get a real good feel for the habitat these animals are found in. Their are riviting travel stories and interesting anecdotes. Their are lots of pictures that help one understand these frogs better. Their is a decent secttion on husbandry.
The 3 book series covers Ecuador, Columbia, and Peru. Book one is mostly tricolor, book 2 is the quincs, and book 3 is histrionicus. My only disapointment is it does not seem to be an overview of all dart frogs. The great thing is Christmann is writing apout his personal experience with these animals. Nearly a lifetime of work and experience went into this book. It is not a compilation of other peoples info.
Atlanta Botanical Gardens is selling this book as sort of a low pressure fund raiser. Their are still copies available through Ron Gagliardo. It's worth the money and isn't expensive when you consider what we've spent on frogs.

G

·
Dart Frog Book

For those interested Ron's e-maill address is: [email protected]
I echo Michael's above assessment, I was fortunate enough to take 2 trips to Colombia, this book brought back vivid memories of these trips.
Ron will gaurentee "live arrival" of the volumes!!!

·
Registered
45 Posts
I may as well chime in on these books as well. I just received my copies and I am thrilled. The pictures are amazing and what I have read has been very enjoyable. It is pretty amazing that a project this ambitious was pursued for such a niche market.

I highly recommend these books to anyone on this list, especially those interested in the natural biotopes of the frogs. It may seem expensive for three books, but I think they are worth it. Buying them through the ABG makes the deal even sweeter as you'll be contributing to a great cause. There are a limited number printed in English, so there is a lot of incentive to get them soon.

AAA

1 - 4 of 4 Posts