Dendroboard banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have these? I've just come across some pictures of them, and they're pretty sweet. Do they breed well? Are they shy? I don't know anything about them and would like some info before I purchase a pair, but the pairs are going for around four hundred, and I've noticed that frogs that expensive usually take forever to mature or are just hard to keep alive.

·
Banned
327 Posts
They're great frogs in my opinion. Mine are pretty bold and vocal and breed well. They're not harder to keep alive than any other frog that I've kept. FYI frogs that expensive aren't expensive because of any hardships or excessive time to mature. A lot of the time it's just that they aren't well established in the hobby as other long term captives. They're some of my favorite frogs in my collection and I'm watching them court right now. If you have any specific questions about their husbandry I'd be happy to share my insight. The one thing I'd say is that since I've put them in a 20 gal high vertical tank with a lot of bromeliads they started to breed profusely. Good luck and hope you find a pair.

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
I have two groups of Vanzolini. We love ours. They seem to go through stages of being bold and being shy. They are very closely related to Imitator so you can study the Imitator care sheet http://www.dendroboard.com/forum/care-sheets/13178-dendrobates-imitator-intermediate.html Most of the care will be the same except for one thing. Vanzos do well in groups. I keep a group of 4 and a group of 5. My group of 4 has just begun breeding again for me. We got 13 beautiful froglets from them last year which was their first year breeding. They are hardy and easy to take care of for a thumbnail. Remember though, thumbnails are not always the best choice for a first frog. You will have to make sure to do extra research if you intend to start with thumbnails.
$400 for a pair is towards the high end for this species. That must be for a proven pair which has produced successful babies? The going rate on these guys over the past year has been closer to $90 to $125.
Here are some shots of some of ours.

Attachments

Reactions: nbutler

·
Registered
8,328 Posts
I love my vanzos! I've got a group of five and while some are shy, others are very bold, and I usually see all of them every day. One of the most beautiful of the Ranitomeya for sure

·
Premium Member
2,747 Posts
I agree that these are great frogs. I have definitely noticed that they become pretty shy once they have tadpoles in bromeliads to care for (breeding decreases as well). So, while I won't be tearing up the vivs my frogs are in to take out the broms, I think people just starting with them should consider avoiding broms in their vivs.

Richard.

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
I agree that these are great frogs. I have definitely noticed that they become pretty shy once they have tadpoles in bromeliads to care for (breeding decreases as well). So, while I won't be tearing up the vivs my frogs are in to take out the broms, I think people just starting with them should consider avoiding broms in their vivs.

Richard.
Hey Richard, I heard these guys are really sensitive to shipping. Any truth to that?? ;)
Max and I have ours set up with NO broms, just film cans as Richard suggested. That way we can pull the tads so the parents keep breeding.

Reactions: Woodsman

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
Hey Richard, I heard these guys are really sensitive to shipping. Any truth to that?? ;)
Max and I have ours set up with NO broms, just film cans as Richard suggested. That way we can pull the tads so the parents keep breeding.
By the way, the "sensitive to shipping" thing was a not so inside joke. Richard's survived 10 days lost in the USPS system. http://www.dendroboard.com/forum/general-discussion/68461-miracle.html That was the last time I used USPS for frogs.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Stop with the Vanzo pics already. I can't make up my mind between Southern Varis and these. Because we're heading in to winter, I finally thought that I could give it rest and worry about it in spring. None of you are helping.

And Doug, I think that the 10 day Vanzo adventure is a testament to your packing. Still makes me cringe just thinking about it.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have two groups of Vanzolini. We love ours. They seem to go through stages of being bold and being shy. They are very closely related to Imitator so you can study the Imitator care sheet http://www.dendroboard.com/forum/care-sheets/13178-dendrobates-imitator-intermediate.html Most of the care will be the same except for one thing. Vanzos do well in groups. I keep a group of 4 and a group of 5. My group of 4 has just begun breeding again for me. We got 13 beautiful froglets from them last year which was their first year breeding. They are hardy and easy to take care of for a thumbnail. Remember though, thumbnails are not always the best choice for a first frog. You will have to make sure to do extra research if you intend to start with thumbnails.
$400 for a pair is towards the high end for this species. That must be for a proven pair which has produced successful babies? The going rate on these guys over the past year has been closer to $90 to $125.
Here are some shots of some of ours.
Thanks for the pics. They're gorgeous. I'll be keeping an eye out for a cheaper pair, but these are definitely going on my wish list.

·
Registered
8,328 Posts
I have eggs and my girlfriends family lives in Glendora, so Im up there all the time. When I have froglets ready I can deliver

·
Registered
708 Posts
Oh, these guys are high on my wish list.
They are gorgeous, I don't have any personal experience but I wish you the best of luck.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Wow, read this through, as well as the lost-in-shipping fiasco, I gotta say, nothing is better than opening a box thinking that what is inside is gonna be terrible, and in fact having live creatures inside. I had this happen with a shipment of fancy guppies once, it was a huge surprise to see them alive.

Anyhooo, d. vanzolinii... I have been looking at some care sheets on tinc's to figure out how many I should be keeping in the setup I am (haha) setting up currently, but I seemed to have skated over population density in a terrarium setting. For most of the species I have looked at, I only recently noticed how territorial the frogs can be. Ideally, I would like to have something more like a hippy commune than a battlefield as far as tempers go. I heard some hinting at thumbnails being good for keeping in colonies, so I googled around a bit and found this thread. Anyone have a safe estimate of how densely these frogs can be kept (comfortably) in a terrarium setting?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Wow, read this through, as well as the lost-in-shipping fiasco, I gotta say, nothing is better than opening a box thinking that what is inside is gonna be terrible, and in fact having live creatures inside. I had this happen with a shipment of fancy guppies once, it was a huge surprise to see them alive.

Anyhooo, d. vanzolinii... I have been looking at some care sheets on tinc's to figure out how many I should be keeping in the setup I am (haha) setting up currently, but I seemed to have skated over population density in a terrarium setting. For most of the species I have looked at, I only recently noticed how territorial the frogs can be. Ideally, I would like to have something more like a hippy commune than a battlefield as far as tempers go. I heard some hinting at thumbnails being good for keeping in colonies, so I googled around a bit and found this thread. Anyone have a safe estimate of how densely these frogs can be kept (comfortably) in a terrarium setting?

·
Registered
2,180 Posts

That is largely dependant on viv/terrarium size. The most important thing to consider is providing suitable territories with ample visual barriers. Multiple feeding stations will help to lessen competition. However, some groups will not get along. I have heard many times where people have started with 0.0.3, and end up with 1.1.0(mostly male:female) with the third MIA(dead). I have not kept vanzo's, but I am keeping a trio of R. sirensis. This trio gets along just fine, however, 1 is the third wheel, and I monitor him and make sure he is competing and healthy.

JBear

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Just a note, field research has shown vanzolinii to be monogamous. They do fine when raised as groups by putting unfamiliar adults together in groups has consistently caused problems for me.

Make sure that when keeping thumbnails together in a group they have enough room to get out of each others territories. Remember these frogs often live 10's of meters away from each other.

There is always the overcrowding method, but I do not recommend that.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Hope this isn't too stupid to ask but what about introducing unfamiliar vanzos as pairs. Say an adult male from one source and adult female from a different source. Has anybody had problems with this? I have a pair that is doing well and producing and a few single adults from different sources that I would like to pair up at some point.
Jim

1 - 20 of 43 Posts