Dendroboard banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
I thought to keep D. T. Patricia, but i need to be sure which plants they need. I have seen that a lot of people use moss in their vivarium and also a lot of Bromelias.
But which bromelias are the best for D. T. Patricia ?

Registered
Tinctorius does not need moss nor bromeliads. I have send you many links of tinctorius habitat already.. you should know this by now. 馃槈

Super Moderator
Many people do use moss, but it can be problematic. On the substrate, it takes away space for leaf litter, which is much more beneficial and should be maximized. Moss also might encourage keepers to keep the viv too wet/humid.

Broms are useful for thumbnails and Oophaga as tad deposition sites, but are not useful in that way for tincs.

Tijl, might larger broms (larger than Neos) be useful in larger tinc vivs simply as general plant cover?

Reactions: Tijl

Registered
Discussion Starter #4
Tijl,
I knew you send me a lot of pictures of the habitat of the frogs, but i wasn't sure which plants they need for cover/ breeding. I didn't want to overload you with too many questions

Registered
Many people do use moss, but it can be problematic. On the substrate, it takes away space for leaf litter, which is much more beneficial and should be maximized. Moss also might encourage keepers to keep the viv too wet/humid.

Broms are useful for thumbnails and Oophaga as tad deposition sites, but are not useful in that way for tincs.

Tijl, might larger broms (larger than Neos) be useful in larger tinc vivs simply as general plant cover?
@Socratic Monologue , well explained ! :)

I have both big neoregelias and or vrieseas in my tank, but is is more for looks to match my other tanks in the rack system.. The tinctorius will sit in the big bromeliad arms from time to time , but is is simply for "shelter". Shelter is better created by using pods, wood, cocohuts,...* The plants are mostly for decoration and the human eye. I like using bigger leafed plants in Tinctorius tank. Like Epiprenum or philodendron. Plants with bigger leaves give the both shelter and look out spots for males.

Almost everything about tinctorius habitat and behavior is explained in this article : https://peerj.com/articles/7648/

As you can see in the article, they spend a lot of their life around fallen and cracked trees. That is why I change the position of the nuts, pods and big pieces of bark in the tank. This can trigger them in breeding.

*Males also tend to hide more than females. In captivity I notice the males spend a lot of time in the pods. That's why it is important to give them lots of hiding places.

Registered
And which plants i mean bromelias and creepers.
This is 100% your choice to give the tank the look you want. The frogs don't care about this.

I like marcgravia as creepers since they don't explode in growth all the time.
When you use ficus or stuff like that, you can trim every week and this is just a pain in the ass after a while.. Also the frogs don't like all that comotion in their tanks.

I am not easy overload with questions unless I say enough is enough :D
I'm more than happy to help you and i'm sure the members of this forum are too.

Super Moderator
The plants aren't something that my bigger frogs interact with a lot. They use them to hide a bit, but as Tijl and SM said, it's better to use leaf litter and other objects than to rely on plants for that purpose. Plants are probably more for our eyes. I think they also contribute to a general crude, minor duplication of natural cycles in our tanks (I refuse to use the marketing term-of-the-week "bioactive"). In terms of which plants do best with Tincs (morph doesn't matter), I would lean toward bigger and sturdier plants. My Tincs will hop fragile stuff on the ground to death in pretty short order - no respect for the effort I put into my tanks for them ;-) If having broms and other really cool-looking plants in their tank will make you enjoy the tank more, your frogs will probably be better taken care-of so go ahead and put whatever plants you want to in there that will grow in those conditions. I would also avoid moss because conditions favorable to mosses are likely going to be too wet for Tincs.

Mark

Registered
In my tank there is only a large thick leaf layer.
That is very good, the plants and decoration is up to you to decide.

If having broms and other really cool-looking plants in their tank will make you enjoy the tank more, your frogs will probably be better taken care-of so go ahead and put whatever plants you want to in there that will grow in those conditions. I would also avoid moss because conditions favorable to mosses are likely going to be too wet for Tincs.

Mark
Says it all to get you started on decorating I think. :) Take your time so the plants or cutting can grown in and root steady. Otherwise the frogs will destroy the plants, like Mark said.

Registered
Discussion Starter #11
At my paludarium it is now 2 months ago after I put the plants in it. When would I put the frogs in it?

Super Moderator
At my paludarium it is now 2 months ago after I put the plants in it. When would I put the frogs in it?
Some folks would make sure that the microfauna population is established. Me, I would put frogs in there as soon as viv is built; nothing magical has to happen in the viv before the frogs go in. :)

So, add frogs when you are ready, or after quarantining the frogs (if you're going to do that), and after you've gotten the hang of culturing FFs.

Registered
Discussion Starter #13
Now it only contains a lot of springtails and woodlice. But I also have a culture of fruit flies.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts