Dendroboard banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey everyone, I have been raising up a group of 5 Dendrobates tinctorius 'New River'
I feel fortunate enough to have gotten them from Lisa Chesney who has a nice pair of Vanishing Jewels line adults.

They are around 6-7 months old now I believe and are getting quite big. Since Im now starting to see a more permanent pattern and coloration on them I figured it was time to start snapping off some pix :D

So here we go!

Probable Male 1

Probable Male 2

Probable Female 1 ( I might mention this is my favorite of the entire group! The photos do not do her justice!)

Probable Female 2

Probable Female 3

Enjoy!

Todd

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No calling that Ive witnessed. I believe at least a good 4-5 months before there is calling from the males. And since I have them separated by sex, I doubt Ill notice any calling until they are permanently paired up.

You wouldnt believe how hard it is to photograph these frogs! The blue is nearly impossible to capture on camera!

Todd

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey guys I wanted to share a pic or 2 with you guys.

And also some info I found on Iridophores (the crystaline structures that make up their blue coloration)
These Iridophores are what makes that metallic look and why it is so hard to capture accurately on camera
Chromatophore - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Todd

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey guys I got this shot today and couldnt resist sharing it with you all! Im amazed at how much she stands out against the Magnolia leaves. The camera was just at the perfect angle and I manage to get a fair shot of the blue. Its not quite perfect but its closer than I usually get.
Im starting to wonder if the black isnt made up of iridophores as well?

Enjoy

Todd

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanx. I should mention that particular shot is of 1 of my 3 probable females. She is around 8-9 months old and is nearly the length of 2 quarters. so right around 1.75 inches!

I will be setting 1 of the 3 18 inch ZooMed cubes by the end of this month for her.
Im not sure when the other 2 cubes will get set up but hopefully by December LOL.
Todd

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
Agreed, I am still growing mine out in a large tub and often I cant keep myself from opening the tub up to watch them. They are such active beautiful frogs. And I really dont understand why their popularity declined so much in the past few years.

Todd
Their similarity to azureus is one of the major factors.. with azureus so readily available and so well known, many froggers end up with them instead of morphs like these.

Do something about it, get them breeding.. this morph definitely deserves it's place in the hobby. You know what they say, "If you want something done right...." :)

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
Those are some great looking frogs. Keep posting! We need to see more of these beauties.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Okay since some people are asking for more... give em what they want right? LOL
I misted so the colors are a little washed out in the pics

1st 2 pics are of the grow-out tub with the 3 probable females.

Here is probable female #1

Here is probable female #2

Here is probable female #3

Shes been a little bit thin this week but thats because shes hitting yet another growth spurt.

Enjoy

Todd

1 - 20 of 27 Posts