Dendroboard banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the best way to figure a fair market value for frogs?
I try by visiting all major Breeders on the web, checking their prices.
But I have also found large variations in price, age, color, quality, ect.

Might it be possible in the future to keep an up to date price list for everyone’s reference
Or maybe there is already one Im not aware of?!
Any Thoughts? :?

·
Administrator
8,787 Posts
Price is important. Quality is more important.

Frogs are not a commodity.

I'd recommend trying to find a local breeder. Check out their frogs. Take it from there.

s

·
Registered
79 Posts
Frog prices

I agree, I pay a little extra for my frogs from a local breeder. But he lets me pick the frogs and I pick them up from his home. Eventually I will probly order a few from other breeders, but his sevice is hard to get over the phone or the internet.

Doug

·
Registered
79 Posts
Frog prices

I agree, I pay a little extra for my frogs from a local breeder. But he lets me pick the frogs and I pick them up from his home. Eventually I will probly order a few from other breeders, but his sevice is hard to get over the phone or the internet.

Doug

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I actually pay less at a local breeder in most cases plus i get to hand select the frogs. No having to pay for shipping is great and less traumatic for the frogs. But to give a basis for dart prices. Some rarer morphs bring higher prices (example: Regina Tincs). Adults and proven breeders are usually a higher cost.

Tincs $40-75
Auratus $15-50
Pumilio $100-200
Azureus $50-70
Vents $40-100
Leucs $30-60
Terriblis mint $40-60
Terriblis not mint $100-125
Bicolor $40-60
Hists/Lehmanni $400 if your lucky
Retics $125-175
Galacs $50-100
Fantasticus $125-175
tricolor $40-80
vitattus $40-60

I know I missed some but you get the idea

Note: these are normal ranges that I would buy in there are always exceptional frogs

·
Administrator
13,228 Posts
It all depends, but prices are close in most cases. Unless you are talking pairs or adults.

In most cases the lower the reproduction rate the higher the cost.

Leucca said:
What is the best way to figure a fair market value for frogs?
I try by visiting all major Breeders on the web, checking their prices.
But I have also found large variations in price, age, color, quality, ect.

Might it be possible in the future to keep an up to date price list for everyone’s reference
Or maybe there is already one Im not aware of?!
Any Thoughts? :?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the responses.
This Topic stems from us trying to find a solid price on the
D. Leucomelas were producing.
Within the last 8 months we have sold them from 50-30$
All frogs are 2 weeks out of the water or more.
Most are orangish in pattern and all are very healthy babies.

Do you think we should try for higher prices in an effort to keep the market strong?

Or lower the price so more people can enjoy them.?

·
Administrator
13,228 Posts
Leucs run about that, all depends, the fine spotted ones run a bit more. I wish mine would just breed, i'm hoping they figure it out soon.

Leucca said:
Thanks for the responses.
This Topic stems from us trying to find a solid price on the
D. Leucomelas were producing.
Within the last 8 months we have sold them from 50-30$
All frogs are 2 weeks out of the water or more.
Most are orangish in pattern and all are very healthy babies.

Do you think we should try for higher prices in an effort to keep the market strong?

Or lower the price so more people can enjoy them.?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Your price seem right, but the age scares me a little. Most breeders I know won't sell a frog unless its 6 weeks out of the water, unless it is picked up by an experienced keeper. I just think of it as you are making sure the frog is getting a good jump on life and you can make sure it is eat well and putting on weight.

I love the patteren of you luec in your avatar, btw.

Take care,

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
We sell our Leucs for $35 each or 3 for $100.00.

d. leucomelas is the ultimate beginner dart frog.

On most Dart Frogs we usually will cut a price break at 3, but definately at 5 of the same breed.

Look for and establish relationships with private breeders and go to the shows if you can (IAD, Frog Day, NWFF, etc. . . ).

Take care,

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Its kind of off topic, but is there a list of breeders some where, because i want some leucs and it would be nice to know if I have a local breeder somewhere near by, since im really uneasy about buying over the web.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I buy alot from bill at quality exotics awesome guy fun to talk to. His frogs are great. Prices are better. My only complaint is its hard to find larger frogs tends to sell small ones.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I buy alot from bill at quality exotics awesome guy fun to talk to. His frogs are great. Prices are better. My only complaint is its hard to find larger frogs tends to sell small ones.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts