Dendroboard banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
5,684 Posts
A better fine spot photo:

Also I want to add in a note into the morphs description...

Standard
- this includes the "orange", "yellow", and "green foot" which are just bloodlines and variation within the morph, and in some cases line breeding has occurred to make these traits more predictable. Also part of this morph is the "Chocolate" selectively bred genetic form (aka "Albino", "Vanishing Jewels"). Originally from Venezuela.

Also an update on the Bandeds... changing "They have proven much harder to breed, with only a few tadpoles to date." to "They have proven much harder to breed, with only a few groups of froglets to date."

·
Registered
928 Posts
Can we add this to the "Description" section?

-Size: Adult leucomelas can approach 40 mm (usually around 35 mm) with males being slightly smaller than females.

I think a lot of people new to the hobby have a really hard time envisioning the size of these animals. I think it's particularly difficult when comparing tinc group frogs to thumbnails - they look the same in pictures. Having numbers in all the size descriptions will help with this.

·
Registered
6,734 Posts
Include US units too for refference. Not many people have a feel for SI units.

40mm (1.57in)
35mm (1.38in)

Do you have a refference for where you got those measurements?

·
Registered
928 Posts
They are from my personal experience, but after I read your post I looked them up in Schmidt and Henkel's book (The Professional Breeder's Series "Poison Frogs") and it says "Females reach a maximum of 38 mm in size, males stay some 2-3 mm behind" so there's something to back it up...

·
Registered
5,684 Posts
And also note that the bandeds are larger that the "standard" sizes you are talking about... there is an obvious size difference but as I had enough problems just getting pics of the damn things I wasn't going to sit there and ask if I could measure them...

·
Registered
928 Posts
So can we add the info about size to the "standard" morph description of this one? Is it I who am supposed to add this info directly to the sheet or ... how does this work? The info is coming from my own observations primarily.

·
Registered
5,684 Posts
Hey Kyle, posted an update a while back that didn't get done... needs to be done due to the recent attention brought to the chocolates by a post, and with the selling of banded froglets... I'll repeat it again here...

Standard
- this includes the "orange", "yellow", and "green foot" which are just bloodlines and variation within the morph, and in some cases line breeding has occurred to make these traits more predictable. Also part of this morph is the "Chocolate" selectively bred genetic form (aka "Albino", "Vanishing Jewels"). Originally from Venezuela.

Also an update on the Bandeds... changing "They have proven much harder to breed, with only a few tadpoles to date." to "They have proven much harder to breed, with only a few groups of froglets to date."

·
Administrator
13,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Dendrobates leucomelas:
Contributers: Corey Wickliffe (kerokero), Kyle Kopp (kyle1745), Oz (rozdaboff), Tom Popovich (TPopovich)

• Difficulty: Novice
  • Location & History – Venezuela, northern Brazil, Both Guyana's and the south east of Colombia (1)
  • Descriptions & Behavior: A Mid-sized, bold, and social frog. Males have a loud bird like call. There are currently three morphs available in the hobby:

Note: These morphs represent unique subpopulations in the wild that share general physical characterisitics, and for that reason different morphs should not be mixed.

Standard - this includes the "orange", "yellow", and "green foot" which are just bloodlines and variation within the morph, and in some cases line breeding has occurred to make these traits more predictable. Also part of this morph is the "Chocolate" selectively bred genetic form (aka "Albino", "Vanishing Jewels"). Originally from Venezuela.

Fine Spotted - a slightly smaller (if i remember correctly) morph than the Standard, with the bandeds of orange broken up by a lot of fine spots, giving an over all netted pattern on the back. Uncommon in the hobby, and may be more difficult to breed than the standard morph.

Banded - from British Guyana - These are recent introductions, with the first and only importation from the wild occuring in 2005. Size is significantly larger than standard, color ranging from yellow to orange like standard, and animals have more solid bands of color, rarely broken by spotting like standards (they look like juvenile standards pattern wise). They have proven much harder to breed, with only a few groups of froglets to date. Much more challenging than standards as their breeding triggers are still unknown.
  • General Care:
    Temperature range of 70-80º F during the day.

Leucs do well when kept in groups as long as enough room is allowed.

Horizontal or vertical enclosures both work well, as they do like to climb and the males often call from the top of the tank. 20H and 29H are good tanks to use for a small group of frogs.
  • Breeding & tadpole Care:
    Males will begin calling as early as 5-6 months of age, but females generally take longer to attain sexual maturity. Call can be louder than others and maybe too loud for some areas of your home.

Petri dishes under coco huts and large leaves are often utilized as laying sites.

Clutches range in size from 5-10 eggs.

Tadpoles may exhibit cannibalism and should be housed individually. (2) Tadpoles can be fed fish flakes, detritus (decaying leaves and dead FFs), and algae based foods.
  • Pictures:
    Standard:

Banded:

Banded:

Fine spot:

References:
(1) www.poison-frogs.com, dart poison frogs, vivaria, plants, together with lots of pictures, films and more. Orchids, bromelia's, mosses, descriptions of dendrobates leucomelas, azureus, pumilio, tinctorius, auratus and how to breed frogs but also fruit
(2) http://www.natures-web.org - Tor Linbo

If you would like to see any updates or modifications to this care sheet please let myself or a moderator know.

Last updated 1/9/2010

·
Registered
6,110 Posts
Might be worth noting that Banded leucs have now come in more than once. From what I've found, it appears that green foot leucs may be their own morph - apparently, wc imports would come in with all the leucs having green feet.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts