Dendroboard banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any Tips On Care, Feeding, Etc? I currently am the proud owner of a 10+ year old Bearded Dragon I’ve had since a juvenile. Also I have 3 Tarantulas that I’ve had about a year. So I’m familiar with special and exotic pet care. I did get the proper plants and light set up and proper mixture for the ground cover with a mesh drain and rocks under it. Got that covered. I mist 2-3 times a day and when the sun goes down is when I shut the lights off I try to keep a 12 12 schedule. Thanks in advance!
Spencer-

Attachments

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Welcome. .
Can you share pictures of the whole tank? It'll help us give you advice.
I would recommend a think layer of leaf litter , the frogs love it.

·
Registered
732 Posts
The things that seem to get new frog owners the most is humidity, temperature, and supplements. Humidity should be 60-80%, temperature should be 65-75, and supplements should be given at every feeding. Most folks use repashy calcium plus but some folks use dendrocare. Both work fine. Juvenile frogs should be fed every day while adult frogs every other day. If by the time the next feeding rolls around there are still flies crawling around, you are feeding too much. Hopefully this is helpful.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The things that seem to get new frog owners the most is humidity, temperature, and supplements. Humidity should be 60-80%, temperature should be 65-75, and supplements should be given at every feeding. Most folks use repashy calcium plus but some folks use dendrocare. Both work fine. Juvenile frogs should be fed every day while adult frogs every other day. If by the time the next feeding rolls around there are still flies crawling around, you are feeding too much. Hopefully this is helpful.
Thank you fishing guy and minorhero! That schedule is something I was most looking for. Was a solid answer for feeding. I’ve got the proper mesh drainage and rock below that and mixture of soil set. Planted some arrowhead plant, pothos, and nerve plants. Used a plastic soap dish (new of course) and filled it with flakes of stone and filled with water. My little frog loves it! Good sounds a lot more seemingly happier note that it’s got a little pool.. not too deep but just enough to satisfy. Got the light for the plants, also have several rock hiding spots planted. Just a single auratus for right now. My love to have another will solely depend on my handling of owning this frog and responsibility in which I’m familiar as I own several other what you would call exotic pets. I will include a picture of my set up. Thanks guys!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Forgot to add **** the reflection on the glass is not a real bumblebee dart frog. It’sa rubber toy I’ve had since a kid. ;) Lolol

·
Super Moderator
3,035 Posts
That is an 8 x 8 x 12 -- not large enough for any dart frog.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I beg to differ @Socratic Monologue ... I Understand you are a SUPER MOD here. But, I've seen single juvi's do just fine in a set up like this. Eventually YES, I WILL buy a bigger enclosure. But, It's fine for now... It's still a baby! barely the size of the tip of my thumb. I was told at least 8 gallons per frog once full adult. I do however appreciate your advice. However for now for a single frog I think I'm good. It has not been sexed yet. But He/She is very happy. Eats, hops around. Seems to be doing just fine. Like I said I appreciate your advice, just came off kinda blunt man. DONT BE A RICHARD. We're all in this hobby to learn. THANK YOU.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
I beg to differ @Socratic Monologue ... I Understand you are a SUPER MOD here. But, I've seen single juvi's do just fine in a set up like this. Eventually YES, I WILL buy a bigger enclosure. But, It's fine for now... It's still a baby! barely the size of the tip of my thumb. I was told at least 8 gallons per frog once full adult. I do however appreciate your advice. However for now for a single frog I think I'm good. It has not been sexed yet. But He/She is very happy. Eats, hops around. Seems to be doing just fine. Like I said I appreciate your advice, just came off kinda blunt man. DONT BE A RICHARD. We're all in this hobby to learn. THANK YOU.
I would barely be willing to put a baby Ranitomeya froglet in a tank that size. There's not enough tank space to have a temperature and humidity gradient that allows the frog to choose how warm, and humid it wants to be in, or to move from one area to another if it decides it needs a different set of parameters.

Additionally, the wood mulch that is on top of the substrate could cause abrasions to the frog.

I would highly recommend a bigger tank in the very near future. I don't like the betta in a 8oz cup approach to animal care. Just because they survive doesn't mean it's the right thing to do.

I keep my newborn Ranitomeya froglets in containers that are 9x14x9" and that's only for about 2-3 months then they go into bigger enclosures.

·
Super Moderator
3,035 Posts
Like I said I appreciate your advice, just came off kinda blunt man. DONT BE A RICHARD. We're all in this hobby to learn. THANK YOU.
It was meant to be very blunt. You were told wrong about viv sizes.

Also, you have a PM.

·
Premium Member
1,360 Posts
I think i know what it is you are attempting to achieve with the slate fragments.

But that is not the way to do it. Its a specific modality done for specific reasons, in a specific way. That does not align with standard dart husbandry consensus.

As someone who has applied this to provide shallow, surface-broken, walkable water - it is incorrect in application here.

Not only is it the water plane too extensive - the fragments of slate laying on the bottom of the dish only serve to complicate the hygiene and maintenence of the 'puddle'.

This is why such provision is problematic and defaulted as such.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts